Didn't know I could run that fast!

Henrietta23

Songster
12 Years
Oct 20, 2007
Eastern CT
This afternoon I pulled in the driveway after bringing my son home from gymnastics class. I heard the most awful shrieking noise in my backyard, beyond anything I've ever heard coming from my chickens. I was thinking the coyote or coyote cross that's been spotted a few times in the neighborhood had one of them, or a neighbors' dog or one of the cats that sometimes crawl under our fence to stalk my birds. I dropped my purse in the driveway, ran to the gate, threw it open and tore down the steps into the backyard. My son freaked out and followed me with his father hot on his heels. "What on earth is going on???" they were both shouting. I get into the middle of the backyard and all my chickens and ducks come trotting over calmly, "Oh look the lady with the food is back. Maybe she has a nice treat for us!" Then the shriek pierces the air again. It is the little girl next door who is not quite two, playing in the yard with her father, having a jolly time, and shrieking with joy to prove it. Sigh, I now longer feel guilty about the noise my rooster makes.
My female blue swedish duck laughed at me. I swear....
roll.png

You scared the hooey out of me! I was sitting here, heart in my throat, already thinking about which comforting smilies would be best, and got to the end of the post.... ah...... I can breathe again now. I have to admit; I've done the "drop it all where you stand and make the mad dash" boogie too.
wink.png

Oh my goodness, I thought something really bad happened! I have 6 little girls at my house and I know that sound.....if you don't know where it is coming from it can be very scary! Glad everything is ok!

Sorry! Didn't mean to frighten everyone. But you did get a sense of what I was feeling in that moment. :eek: I was in panic mode. Then totally embarassed. Luckily there are some trees between their yard and ours and they didn't see me make a fool of myself.

I can't count the times last summer that I ran to the back yard to see why the neighbor's dog was barking at my birds (becaue they're there) or why my banty cochin was sending up an alarm cluck (because she can't find the big girls)!

Back
Top Bottom