Didn't know where to post this. What do you think???

dandydoodle

Songster
9 Years
Sep 21, 2010
georgia
Okay we are thinking about getting a dog medium to large in size. We would like to have a dog that is friendly good with people. It definitely has to be good with kids. I would like to find a dog that is good with poultry and livestock also. It would be nice to have a dog to help protect my girls and not a dog I have to protect them from. Does anyone have any suggestions. I would prefer short hair and not stinky.
wink.png

Michelle

LOL, all of them get stinky
big_smile.png
Our Newfoundland is long haired but he is a gentle giant. Loves kids! He's in the room with 3, 2 week old SLW's right now. Lays his big old head on the table with the brooder on it and watches them. Wouldn't hurt a fly
love.gif

As many suggestions as possible would be soooooo appreciated. I want to research as many different types as I can. Well ones that are suggested good breeds.
wink.png

Well, I may be unpopular after this, but a "family" bred pitbull can be perfect. They are very loving, loyal dogs. They have a high tolerance for pain and abuse which kids often dish out unpurposely. Both of my dogs have had no problem integrating with all sorts of animals. My tiny Seramas can free range the house in their diapers right in front of the dogs. My female pittie breaks up chicken fights by running in between the two offenders like a bowling ball, but never touches them. And NOBODY will mess with my kids when the dogs are out. They don't see the wagging tail and big smile, they just see "Pitbull". Which works for me. Yes, I'm capitalizing on their undeserved reputation.

Of course there are exceptions in any breed, and a bad pitbull is very dangerous, as is a rottweiler, doberman, german shepherd, labrador retriever, mastiff, Dalmatian,.....

we currently have pits and bull terriers.... but have had dogs of all sorts... the best dog you can have with any other animals is the one you invest time and training in..

Quote:
Those dogs have a bad reputation doesnt mean they are bad with poultry. A pomerian could be more dangerous than a rottweiler. Just depends on how they were raised.

Quote:
Its not so much the breed as it is you,sorry to say. Most any breed can be taught to leave the chickens be but that learning has to come from you. If you have little to no dog experience,I would suggest do ALOT of research and when you decide on a particular breed maybe even enroll in a class to teach proper dog handling.Most dogs are willing to please and love to learn but left unharnessed the dog will control you and dictate how things will be done. I have been training retrievers for 25 years, was taught by a true professional dog handler(field trials of retrievers and pointers) that the key is repetition,repetition,repetition. Invest in a choke chain and learn proper use of it,strong correction on faults and stronger praise for good behavior go along way. Punishing a dog long after bad behavior just confuses the dog and will create a timid dog,correction has to be done immediately. Time spent and consistancy are other keys. Another big mistake is too many people try to handle the dog,what you might correct the dog for someone else will let it get away with,more confusion for him. Set ground rules with the training process. When I get a new dog,I handle all the training but allow social time with the kids and other people. My current golden,anyone could take him either for a walk or on a days hunt without me and still be a good citizen.

Got to laugh when people say that their dog "is so stupid". Nothing could be futher from the truth,the dog is doing what he wants to do and doesnt care what you have to say. Because you didnt teach him what you want and your calling him stupid? Might want to look in the mirror. So I dont think the breed is an issue. Get a breed you feel comfortable with bear in mind some train easier than others. A Lab might fit your lifestyle,larger and with short hair and fairly easy to train. Also you have an advantage starting with a pup,knd of like a blank piece of paper as to you get to imprint what you want. I started with a 11 year old trained to retrieve waterfowl and now have to tell him he cant. In his eyes fowl are fowl and now he is told he cant. But given his training a strong NO was good enough for him the couple times he tried to grab one. Now they walk right past him and he dont even bat an eye. So good luck and hopefully my input(although rambling at times) will help you decide. In case you didnt notice a properly trained dog is a pet peave of mine.

Oh yeah one more thing,if you come across a outside dog that dont smell let me know,gotta get one of those!
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom