Didn't know

blossom hen

Songster
12 Years
Feb 20, 2007
NE Tx
that three week old chicks could crow! Know now that one of my three frizzles is a rooster for sure. He is less feathered than any of the other chicks, but I was suspecting he might be a rooster because his comb was developing faster and has more color. Sure enough, this morning when I went to feed, he raised up, arched his neck and got out a really good little crow! So funny.

aww how cute i didnt know thay did it that early either well that young i mean i may just start feeding in the mornings so i can see if mine do it too
smile.png

I've got a hen that throws me early crowers. Almost every buff orp hatch, I get one that crows in its first couple days of life already. It is the cutest thing. One of these days, I'll catch it on video and post it.

Jody

Too funny!!! Their first attempts at crowing sound like a teenage boy whose voice is changing!!! Just try not to laugh at him when he can hear you - I think we scarred our little roos psyche because we used to laugh at his first crowing attempts!

Our rooster feathered out much later than his broodermates as well. In fact, he ran around naked for quite a long time while the little girls were getting their pretty feathers. We began to wonder if he had some genetic defect, but finally he started to feather. Soon it was apparent that he still had no butt feathers. He ran around with a naked butt until he was about 9 months old!!!! He is now a little over a year and gorgeous with a nice full tail.

Unfortunately his nickname stuck - "Nakeds", but our neighbors have finally quit making fun of him!!! (They have a rooster that has a tail about 6 feet long!)

Back
Top Bottom