1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Didn't lose a chicken but . . . ?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by N&MSchroeder, Nov 9, 2011.

1. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    This morning, when my husband went to let the girls out, he found a decapitated rabbit INSIDE of the fenced run. The fence is 6 feet tall and both gates were closed and locked. We can't figure this out. We have not had a predator attack before but have seen coyotes in the area, but not recently. No skunks, raccoons, etc. Our land does open up in back to a mountain range and there have been cougars sighted in the past. We moved the cattle home to winter two days ago from the range, so that may have brought something in. This was a wild rabbit and quite large. We have two cats who were not inside of the run with the rabbit, but were at their usual post next to the back door waiting to be fed when my husband went out. It was our coldest night yet (about 17 degrees) but something had to jump/climb our fence (it isn't covered) and kill a rabbit. We have the girls locked up at night inside of two barns and nothing seems amiss here. I need to leave for work within the hour and am worried about the possible return of this animal. The girls are free ranging (my husband hadn't found the rabbit until after he had let them out and was giving them scratch). Will it return during the day? [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It could be different things, but my first thought was an owl. What do others think?

3. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    We do have owls around but I hadn't considered them! I worry about the hawks but not the owls, but I believe you are right and admit to being somewhat relieved since the chickens are locked up at night. Thanks for your response.

4. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    I second the owl. They've got wicked talons and beaks, so imagining one with a large rabbit is no stretch. We have Great Horned Owls here and they've been accused of carrying off cats.

5. gpwelding1

gpwelding1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2011
    upstate south carolina
    Quote:x3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by