Diffences Between EEs, Ameraucanas, and Araucanas

Thanks for all of your input. It means a lot that you cared to respond. WIll let you know when the first egg comes and what color!
I'd be interested to know the egg color - my blue cochin lays a tan egg with a good "suntan". I don't know if that is dark enough to come up "olive".
By the way, that's a pretty photo of your pullet.

This is a pretty good description of the differences between Araucana, Ameraucana and Easter Egger:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html

The spelling of Ameraucana is important to pay attention to...or maybe it's just one of my pet peeves

"If you are in the market for Ameraucanas and see an advertisement for "Americanas," be forewarned: there is no such breed. There is no "I" in Ameraucana."

I did spell it correctly a few times. Sorry I missed the typo
idunno.gif
However, it is good to point it out.
My post wasn't aimed at you per say......it was a general observation contributed to the entire discussion thread.

hi looking for true araucana chics now in vancouver,washington location anybody have them or will have soon please email thanks laurrie

I have Americana's and they lay blue/green eggs. Does that mean their no what the TS store sold me? And what does EE mean.
EE means Easter Eggers, mutt chicken that have a background of Ameraucana and/or Araucana which is where the blue/green egg genes come form.

Read this whole thread, there's lots of info to understand the differences between EEs, Ameraucanas, and Araucanas.

It should be noted that Araucana's can also come clean faced (no tufts) and can have anything from totally rumpless, a few tail feathers, a partial tail or a full tail. In the shows, and per the standard, they should be double tufted and rumpless but this breed has a lethal gene for homozygous tufting. If a chick gets a gene for tufting from each parent, it will die in the shell. Nothing can be done to prevent it. Breeding tufted to tufted will produce some that die in the shell, some that are tufted and some can be clean faced because the parents can only carry one copy of the tufting gene. Some breeders breed tufted to clean faced. More chicks hatch, you still get some tufted and the clean faced are still good for breeding to tufted, Rumplessness is dominant and easy to breed for. In a couple of generations, tailed can be bred up to rumpless and even homozygous rumpless with diligent breeding. Some discussion has been brought up regarding breeding rumpless to rumpless for too many generations and getting Araucana's with backs that are too short. Some say they have bred that way and never had backs that were too short but my own experience has been that using the ones with a couple of stray tail feathers to a fully rumpless gave me more balanced, healthy rumpless Araucana's. Being fully rumpless can make it hard for breeding and they sometimes need the tail fluff trimmed to increase fertility. It's harder for the cock to breed the hen and the shorter the back, the more difficult. Also, the Araucana Club has an egg color card. There is a preference for the bluest blue egg but there are many that lay a blue green eggs, sort of turquoise colored. Breeding "toward" the standard is the goal but using non-standard Araucana's for breeding pens is a standard practice. If only perfect, double tufted/rumpless were bred to each other, it would not be long before the gene pool would shrink to nothing. There would be so many dead in the shell, the clean faced culled out, leaving a tiny percent of "so-called" perfect Araucana's. This breed has an amazing amount of difficulty and yet there are some excellent Araucana's being produced nowadays and more and more breeders are getting interested in this very interesting, complicated breed.
Your birds are gorgeous!!!!

ok i have a rooster that was hatched out of a pink egg from an easter egger....i bred him with my ee that lays blue eggs and and i hatched them and I've got what i know have which is purple eggs....so it cant be that any one chicken should have a color egg it is that all chickens are really mutts bc they have been breed here and there to come come out with the same looks as the parents but not always the same traits bloodline wise of the parents....if there was lineage on every chicken then ees would have their own as well....

ok i have a rooster that was hatched out of a pink egg from an easter egger....i bred him with my ee that lays blue eggs and and i hatched them and I've got what i know have which is purple eggs....so it cant be that any one chicken should have a color egg it is that all chickens are really mutts bc they have been breed here and there to come come out with the same looks as the parents but not always the same traits bloodline wise of the parents....if there was lineage on every chicken then ees would have their own as well....
I'd like to see those purple eggs, do you have any photos?

Back
Top Bottom