Diffences Between EEs, Ameraucanas, and Araucanas

Pics
Blue/Black/Splash can be crossed and still produce true Ameraucana, because blue and splash are genetically black. Blue is the dominant dilute gene for the color black. Blue birds have one copy of the gene, splash have two copies of the gene. Black birds don't have the gene at all.
Lavender is the recessive dilute gene for black. In order for the Lavender color to express, both parents must have the gene.
Lavender lines should not be crossed with BBS lines. The BBS gene will override the Lavender gene.

But lavender can be crossed with the blacks? Or not because they might carry the blue from the parents?
I'm trying to go about this right,

What is splash? I see that allot about ameraucanas

The splash with the BBS is white with black spots. I tried to get a pic of my little one, but she wasn't cooperating.
She is the big baby of my group, and cried when I moved her with the others to the grow out area. I moved her back so she can snuggle under the lights (yes she is 6 weeks old)

But lavender can be crossed with the blacks? Or not because they might carry the blue from the parents?
I'm trying to go about this right,

The splash with the BBS is white with black spots. I tried to get a pic of my little one, but she wasn't cooperating.
She is the big baby of my group, and cried when I moved her with the others to the grow out area. I moved her back so she can snuggle under the lights (yes she is 6 weeks old)

If you cross Lavender with blacks, you need to keep those chicks separate from the breeding pool for dominant blue. They will look black, but will carry one Lavender gene. Crossing those birds with the dominant BBS gene, and you will essentially loose that recessive Lavender gene. The BBS blue gene will override it every time. You may end up with a bird that is both Lavender and Blue but will only look like a Blue.
In order to keep track of which birds have which genes, it's just much simpler to keep the breeding pools for both color varieties separate. You can breed the blacks that are produced from BBS pairings. Those are clear of any dilute genes.

I bought them directly from Paul Smith. He calls them self blue/Lavender. You are correct about not being able to show them but I think if you call them self blue/Lavender you can? It's a little confusing. It's weird because lavenders are one of the most wanted breed but they aren't recognized.

You can not show Ameraucana with the recessive blue dilute gene, no matter if you call it Lavender or Self blue. It's still in development and has been recognized as a project color. Breeders are still working on getting type, color (some roosters develop too much gold/yellow as they mature), and egg color consistent.
They will probably be accepted eventually, but breeders still have a bit more work to do.

Here is a good pic for you, these are BBS Ameraucanas (BBS= black, blue, splash) The rooster in the foreground is black, as is the pullet to the left. There are 2 blue cockerels at the rear left, and a splash pullet on the right.

Here is a better pic of the splash pullet, on the left, and a blue pullet on the right.

Last edited:
Here is a good pic for you, these are BBS Ameraucanas (BBS= black, blue, splash) The rooster in the foreground is black, as is the pullet to the left. There are 2 blue cockerels at the rear left, and a splash pullet on the right. . Here is a better pic of the splash pullet, on the left, and a blue pullet on the right.
Beautiful! The blues look like dark lavenders. My lavenders just came in. I'm going to post the pics. Tell me what you think

So excited! My new Lavenders have arrived!

So excited! My new Lavenders have arrived!

Not a bad start from what I can see... pullets tails look a bit pinched, but could be stress from moving and/or age... should pop over to t h is thread if you want some Lav breeder input... :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/newestpost/683425

Well, I have NO experience with lavenders, they look a bit lighter than the blues, almost like a splash without the spots.

They are a lot lighter than blues, but biggest difference is that Lavs don't have lacing and blues are laced...

Back
Top Bottom