difference between Americauna and EE

well from what I understand Ameracaunas and Araucaunas are a pure breed who lay green/blue eggs.
Easter Eggers or EE's are a Ameracaunas cross or a Aracauna cross. Both pure bred birds crossed with any other breed will result in a offspring that carries the green egg gene, therefore will lay green eggs and these are called EE's

Here's another good link http://www.ameraucana.org/faq.html

Araucanas
...... rumpless (no tail) with tufts (looks like a mustache kinda) and RARE! Lay blue eggs, come in standard and bantam sizes. (The tuft is a fatal gene and two tufted birds mated together will result in dead chicks... therefore not all Araucanas are tufted)

Ameraucanas..... Have muff and beard, silver/blue legs and lay a blue egg. I think these come in both sizes as well. Must adhere to the color variations laid out for the breed.

Easter Eggers ........ I think these are mostly Ameraucana crosses and can look like Ameraucanas or lack the muff and beard. Come in a HUGE variety of colors and lay green or blue eggs.... mostly greenish I think. Usually have green legs, though this can vary. From the site..... "Further, even if a bird meets a standard breed description, but doesn’t meet a variety description or breed true at least 50% of the time it is considered an Easter Egg chicken."

Last edited:
Funny I should see this post today - I just bought a book (off eBay) called Keeping Chickens by Jeremy Hobson and Celia Lewis. It was copyrighted in 2007, so I thought the info. would be current. However, it states under the description for Araucana, "The tailed variety, known in the United States as the Ameraucana, also has featherd head crests and beards, and both types have a pea comb that is irregular in shape."

So, in essense it's saying that an Araucana with a tail is called an Ameraucana.

I e-mailed it to my friend (who breeds Ameraucanas) and told her that SOMEONE ought to write a book called Araucanas/Ameraucanas/Easter Eggers....their similarities & differences. I think it would have a big audience!

Quote:
This is because "Keeping Chickens" is a British import. Araucana standards in most European countries are quite different than in the U.S.

Alot of the confusion stems from hatcheries. They sometimes purposely advertise Easter Eggers as Araucanas and Ameraucanas. Though some hatcheries just don't know and sell them under the title of araucanas not knowing what they really are. I was one of those people. I bought what I thought were araucanas from a hatchery and bred them and sold them for years under the title. Then one day someone gave me a lecture about false advertising. After I explained that I bought them as araus he explained what the real birds looked like.

Back
Top Bottom