1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Difference between Cali Whites and White Leghorn?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Minniechickmama, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have some 4-H members who ordered these two varieties together and cannot tell them apart. I have not seen them to try to figure it out myself, but thought I would ask before going over there.
    Is there anything distinguishing between that two other than the spots the Calis should have, but these do not. Maybe they got all Leghorns, who know?
    Thanks.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sounds as if they may all be leghorns. I believe that the Cali-whites as hybrids should show the black flecking.

3. IowaHeritage

IowaHeritage Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    Western Iowa
    Even is they show no flecks now, the callis, as chicks should have at least had a black dot on the head right ?

4. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    Not on their head, but they do have black spots on them as chicks. If they didn't, then they are not California Whites.

5. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Could they be white rocks?

6. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I told them to tell the judge they are Leghorns if they don't have spots and if they do, tell them they are California Whites. Really, there is not much difference unless they show the spots, if any difference at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by