Difference between Columbian Rock and Columbian Wyandotte?

Hello again. Does the mean Plymouth and Columbian rocks are identical apart from colour? Do they share the same traits like egg laying rate, broodiness, weights etc?

a Columbian rock yes but your Original post asked about a Colombian Wyandotte.

a Colombian rock to a Colombian Wyandotte is a blue Honda Accord vs a blue Hyundai Sonata.

a Colombian rock to a barred Plymouth rock is a blue Honda Accord to a silver Honda Accord.

a Columbian rock yes but your Original post asked about a Colombian Wyandotte.

a Colombian rock to a Colombian Wyandotte is a blue Honda Accord vs a blue Hyundai Sonata.

a Colombian rock to a barred Plymouth rock is a blue Honda Accord to a silver Honda Accord.
Alrighty! Great analogy, thanks!

Almost all chicken names include a color and a breed type. Once you know the color names this becomes a lot easier. Buff, Partridge, silver laced, etc.

my first flock included a partridge Plymouth Rock and a barred rock (barred Plymouth Rock usually just called a BR).

to be honest - if buying from a hatchery such as Cackle, Meyer, McMurray, tractor supply etc, most of the breeds are extremely similar as they’ve been bred for eggs and not to the breed standard of perfection. In other words if I was only able to see The world in very few shades of black and white I probably couldn’t tell my buff Orpington from my barred rock apart. However a leghorn being much smaller and my muffed Easter egger having a different facial shape adds some uniqueness. Delaware certainly had different feathering and carried herself a bit “prouder” but acted like it also and wasn’t fond of her.

Years ago I got some buff Plymouth Rocks from MMcM, and they were actually larger and more correct than the hatchery barred Rocks I've seen everywhere. Maybe because the buffs aren't so popular, so fewer produced, and still closer to breed type?
Mary

Someone once described the proper Wyandotte type as two circles, a big one for the body with a smaller one set on for the head. Plymouth Rocks are longer, not as compact, as Wyandottes. The comb is an easy difference to spot, but the body shape is the next major difference.

Someone once described the proper Wyandotte type as two circles, a big one for the body with a smaller one set on for the head. Plymouth Rocks are longer, not as compact, as Wyandottes. The comb is an easy difference to spot, but the body shape is the next major difference.

there is a 416 page book dedicated to what a proper Wyandotte is!
2CA21954-7B1E-4439-895C-902C46030071.png

A23082EF-CA32-432D-9172-E2BA6ACEA43F.png

Page 134 has some of what you refer to:
134 AMERICAN POULTRY ASSOCIATION
A Bird of Curves.—Every line of the Wyandotte should be a curve, so that when all the concave and convex lines are brought together we have a bird that is round in every sec- tion. This does not apply to the profile alone. The sides of the bird should be rounded also.

Back
Top Bottom