Difference between "Free Range" and "Pastured" Chicken/Eggs

Laurel720692

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
Simi Valley, Ca
Not sure if this is in the right section...but can someone please explain to me what the difference is between free range and pasture chickens and eggs?

I have 3 chickens that have their own little hen house with an attached run. However, every morning we go out and throw open the doors to let them wander the backyard all day long. They LOVE it when we let them out! You should hear the racket they make every morning when they see us approaching! :) They are allowed to wander all over the backyard all day long until about 6-7 pm when we feed them their grain and lock them back up for the night. Throughout the day they also get treats like lettuce, watermelon, etc. The only time they go into the hen house during the day is to lay eggs.

So, are my chickens "free range" or are they "pastured"?

Thanks for the help! :)

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/ams...ogram&page=NOPConsumers&description=Consumers
link to the USDA page ...
"Free-range. This label indicates that the flock was provided shelter in a building, room, or area with unlimited access to food, fresh water, and continuous access to the outdoors during their production cycle. The outdoor area may or may not be fenced and/or covered with netting-like material. This label is regulated by the USDA."
"Pasture-raised. Due to the number of variables involved in pasture-raised agricultural systems, the USDA has not developed a federal definition for pasture-raised products. "

Back
Top Bottom