Difference Between Rhode Island, New Hampshire and ISA Brown???

pixie74943

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Adelaide, Australia
I'm a little suss about a guy I might be buying a Rhode Island X New Hampshire Red from..

Heres why

I asked him what breeds he sold, he replied ISA Brown. I said I was after a red hen that wasn't an ISA brown. So he told me they sell Rhode Islands Crossed with New Hampshires.

BUT

After researching, I noticed that apparently New Hampshires are an offshot/originated from Rhode Islands. ISA Browns are basically crosses of Rhode Island Red's and Whites..

So the end question is..

Do you think he's trying to rip me off/con me into thinking I'm getting a different breed to what I am?

Is a NH x RI basically a ISA Brown??

And if not, what are the differences, and how can I and my minimal experience tell between an ISA Brown and a NH x RI??

EDIT: Pictures are welcome
smile.png

EDIT2: So more research, I'm finding that Rhode Island and New Hampshire ='s a Production Red. So if this is true, what is the difference between and ISA Brown and a Production Red??

Last edited:
I don't know the genetics of each chicken I am sure someone here can explain the crosses to you but an Isa Brown is a very light brown chicken. A rode island red is more of a deep burgundyish colour. They look nothing like. Isa Browns are used here in Australia as the main type for battery farm store bought eggs.

Last edited:
This is what i found in the breeds section up the top BYC,

Isa Brown = sex-link layers, created by crossing certain Rhode Island Red roosters on certain Rhode Island White hens.

Red Cross: Rhode Island Red/New Hampshire (light brown egg)
Can't find any picks of the crosses you are after so maybe some one here has some they can share so you can see the difference. I would say they would be similar to look at.

Last edited:
Satay, i'm in AUS too.
big_smile.png

From what i've read + heard ISA brown chooks are a sex link of Rhode island reds or whites. I have 2 at home and they provide a fresh egg every day and i couldn't be happier.

I don't the man is lying..

But of course it's your decision.
smile.png
smile.png

http://www.rentachook.com.au/_product_88/Chooks
A few pics of ISA brown chickens on the rentachook website.

It's great to know that you're saving the chooks.
big_smile.png

Also in my opinion sex links are always an interesting addition to your coop.
lol.png

smile.png
smile.png

according to all the books ive read and from what ive seen with my own 2 eyes rhode islandreds x new hampshire reds make a production red. i have a bunch of these guys and i sell as many of them and barred rocks than all others combined. great egg layer.

pixie74943: Hello and welcome..

I would say no you didnt ISA's to a point..

Rhode Island Reds - The breeds that make the RIR the Red Malay Game Fowl, Leghorn and Asiatic

New Hampshire (AKA New Hamshire Red) The foundation breed is the Rhode Island Red

So he was only adding more RIR to the New Hampshire

lol.. Well its the truth.. Some people here in the U.S. have tryed inproving there New Hampshires by breeding them back to the RIR.. I dont know how well it works but its been done..
Chris

Back
Top Bottom