Difference in growth rates

That’s in the barn, LOL, they have free rein during the day. They only go into their coops for cooling in the shade if the barn is too crowded or at night. Our coops are hillbilly condo style, added onto as the flock grew. I’ll post a picture in the coop build section if you want to see it.
I would love to see it!

Should I separate the buff and the barred to a brooder on their own? They don’t seem to be having any problem getting to the food.
I do not think you need to separate them at this time, if they all seem to be doing fine.

But moving the entire group to a larger brooder might be good. They will like to have more space to run around, and bullying is less likely to start if they have more space to move around and do things.

I know nothing of the science, but I have two 10 day old chicks right now who are growing at very different paces!

I have a lavender pekin who was 45g yesterday, has fully feathered wings, fluffy tail bump and is much larger.
Then I have a yellow pekin who was 30g yesterday, only just getting the first wing feathers, no tail bump and looks almost half the size of the other one at the moment!

Photos here, both are supposedly 10 days old!

I do not think you need to separate them at this time, if they all seem to be doing fine.

But moving the entire group to a larger brooder might be good. They will like to have more space to run around, and bullying is less likely to start if they have more space to move around and do things.
x2, unless there's a secondary room we're not seeing, they're pretty packed in there.

Always best to leave chicks together to grow up together, unless you're not planning on keeping the ones you mentioned wanting to separate, in which case it wouldn't matter.

Chicks that are raised together, at least in my experience, stay together. My minis were raised with our heritage turkeys from chicks and still roost with them. If one of the minis goes off too far one of the turkeys will go look for her and lead her back

I know nothing of the science, but I have two 10 day old chicks right now who are growing at very different paces!

I have a lavender pekin who was 45g yesterday, has fully feathered wings, fluffy tail bump and is much larger.
Then I have a yellow pekin who was 30g yesterday, only just getting the first wing feathers, no tail bump and looks almost half the size of the other one at the moment!

Photos here, both are supposedly 10 days old!
Your chicks are sooo cute! Good luck with popcorn. My barred rock has been doing a little gaping, I might try your homemade electrolyte solution.

x2, unless there's a secondary room we're not seeing, they're pretty packed in there.

Always best to leave chicks together to grow up together, unless you're not planning on keeping the ones you mentioned wanting to separate, in which case it wouldn't matter.
I have purchased a dog pen to outfit as my next brooder but thought I wouldn’t be moving them there until next week. Looks like I need to move my plans up.

Back
Top Bottom