Differences between regular Guinea and Jumbo Guinea

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by hesshatcreek, Aug 20, 2016.

1. hesshatcreek

hesshatcreek New Egg

Aug 20, 2016
    I've gotten some Jumbo Guinea and have noticed they are different from my other guineas in the respect that they don't eat Mealworms (just give them a hairy eyeball) and they don't seem to care for white millet. As they are just a couple of months old I still have them penned but I'm wondering now if I made a mistake in getting them. I let my guinea free range for their bug eating abilities. My flock even killed a rattle snake! Do the Jumbo's not eat bugs? Thanks!

2. GlennLee

GlennLee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2016
    Central New York
    Welcome hesshatcreek to the Backyard Chicken Forum!

[​IMG]

I have a flock of 15 Jumbo Guineas - I'm new to all of this, but have learned a lot in the past 3 months! Mine do eat meal worms and white millet, but I have to say, they prefer their food. Oh, one thing I have noticed is that they get really upset if the meal worms are in their feeder - they prefer to peck at them from the floor. I have seem them eat bugs, so I think you're going to be okay with them eventually. I only feed them in the evening to get them to come back into the coop - about an hour before sunset. They come into the ringing of a cow bell. Very comical to watch....

How old are yours? How many do you have?

You will find the French Guineas (Jumbo) tend to hop and glide more than fly. I have hop benches to help them get up to their perches. I think it's because of their extra weight. One of our neighbors who has had both - Jumbos and Pearls - thought the Jumbos didn't seem to wander as far from the house and stayed around better than their Pearls. I can't say that I've had that experience to share yet, but I am going to be adding some female Pearls to my flock soon. I'm 2/3 male and 1/3 female at this point and want to try to even things out a bit. I'll have more comparisons after I have had the Pearls mixed in for a while.

Good luck and enjoy!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by