Differences EE, Ameraucana, & Araucana * Pls post pics*

Pics

These are my new babies

That is the $60, 000 question.  It would really make life easier if they did, but hatcheries call anything that may be mixed with the blue egg gene an Easter Egger.  In reality you are going to get pink, brown, green, and blue eggs cause the chicks are random crosses.  Ameraucanas were bred from Easter Eggers derived from native South American Araucanas. The APA officially accepted Ameraucana as standard breeds in 1984 and to be an
Ameraucana it has to meet the Standard of Perfection . Its probably confused everyone ever since then.  

Lmao so either way I bought a bunch of little mutts lmao I love them anyway an hope they lay good we got mainly ones that looked white is that good or bad lol

I personally think the white ones are good because I got some last year and they grew up to be really, really pretty.
The great thing about Easter Eggers is they have striking colors and can lay beautiful colored eggs that are a joy to collect.

Ok lmao no hatcheries will sell just aracuana what the deal an my feed store told me they are obsolete with their hatcheries

Ok lmao no hatcheries will sell just aracuana what the deal an my feed store told me they are obsolete with their hatcheries
Araucana have a gene that will make the chicks die before they are hatched. The goal of a hatchery is to make money. These two dont mesh.
There are some hatcheries that sell purebred Ameraucanas,(as opposed to the mixed breed Ameraucanas they all sell) but you have to keep in mind this is still mass production to fill orders so selecting to meet breed standard just isnt going to happen. Hopefully you can hook up with a Araucana breeder on Back Yard Chicken. They maybe you can sell them to your feed store. (;

Last edited:
Quote:
That only happenss when you breed two tufted and rumpless birds together and I think that it is only about 1/4 of them that die in the shell.

Last edited:
So when did hatcheries quit selling real Araucana? Mom remembers Grandma buying Araucana the two times the feed store in town actually got them in. She remembers tufted birds, some with and some without rumps. My Great Aunt also remembers those birds. That was in the '60s and early '70s. Those birds were pets that lived out their lives. Of course, I don't know where the feed store was getting their chicks at that time. They could have gotten them from a breeder in the surrounding area.

Mom also says that the chicks Grandma bought each year for meat, she'd keep a portion of the females to lay eggs until the next fall when that years batch started laying. They would have been a dual purpose bird, nothing like the broilers you can get now, and bigger than white leghorns, since they made decent meals.

Great Grandma had an egg business until the early '70s and always got the same white birds that were good layers and decent meat birds. Most laid white eggs, a few laid brown.

Those Araucana really stuck in Mom's memory. She loved the blue eggs. She'd never seen a real green egg until I took her eggs from my EEs a few years ago. She does not like the color of the olive eggs, but she will still at them. Blue and pink are her favorites. Mom has always talked about the Araucana and never heard the term Ameraucana until I talked to her about getting some of them.

This is one of my ee's this lady I got them from has a wole mingle of chickens so ?? What's the deal with the white legs I have a couple like this an one with green legs she sold them to me as arucanas an ee's these birds are crazy looking I am really just going to keep hens but we wanted some that just laid blue eggs so that's why I started hunting

Back
Top Bottom