Different age ok to mix

schooner

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
Hello:

Is it OK to put my new 6week old chicks in the coop/run with my 12 week old one? They are of the same breed.

Thanks

Do you only have one older chicken?

What is the breed and is it possible for you to wait another 2 weeks at least? 6 week olds and 8 week olds are really different.

6 week olds act a LOT more like babies than 8 week olds, or 10 week olds.

The general advice given on BYC is to wait to integrate until chickens are around the same size.

Waiting to hear more details....

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, one older and all Barred Rocks.

Hmmm. With one older chicken, I personally would be tempted to merge them earlier just because I would feel sorry for the one chicken by itself. But things could get brutal if that hen is in an aggressive mood.

I would recommend choosing a time when you can spend a few hours watching them and try to let them be in the run together during just the day first.

At the first sign of bullying get them separated. (Bullying looks like they are going to kill each other- NOT just chest bumping, or pecking with the smaller one squawking and then it's over).

If things go well during the day, it will be a judgement call in terms of nighttime and whether to put them all together in the coop. If it were me, I would wait 2 more weeks before letting them spend the night together and just try the daytime playtime first.

6 weeks olds are just so babylike. They peep like babies, and hide their faces/put their tushies in the air when they are scared.

Oh and Buff Hooligans has a great "adding to the flock" BYC page article at the top of his BYC page, if you are interested.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom