Different behaviors, and no egg laying? Any ideas?

Pawsitivly

Songster
May 14, 2020
Hi! My 2.5 year old buff orpington, Ethel, has had some issues. She has a big personality, but lately she hasn't seemed herself. Her behavior currently is anxious, and scared. She normally struts right up to me, and the flock, but now shes acting terrified. She has a lot of feathers missing from around her neck area, with bare skin exposed. Her feathers have also been looking very ragged, as her normal feathers are big, soft, and fluffy. She has lost a lot of weight as well. Shes had enough food available, and the same amount/kind we've been feeding her. She has also quit laying. She has also been trying to sleep in other coop (the one they usually don't sleep in), almost as if shes trying to avoid everyone. We cant leave her there though because its too cold. Could she be getting picked on? Something else? How can I help her?

Last edited:
Is there anyplace that Ethel could have hidden a nest? Do you have a rooster? Does Ethel walk around puffed up and grouchy?
We do have a rooster, but it is healing from an injury so it hasn’t been around the hens. We keep them in a pretty open area, so I don’t think she has hidden a coop. And yes, she walks around all grouchy, but anxious at the same time

We do have a rooster, but it is healing from an injury so it hasn’t been around the hens. We keep them in a pretty open area, so I don’t think she has hidden a coop. And yes, she walks around all grouchy, but anxious at the same time
My guess is she could have a nest somewhere. Hens can be really crafty about hiding clutches of eggs.

How long has the rooster been in the recovery ward?

If he’s been in isolation for more than a couple of weeks, the eggs probably aren’t fertile.

If you ever find the nest, you can candle the eggs at night to see if anything is developing in them.

Charlie has been in recovery for about 5-7+ days. Not that long, but I don’t think it’s been over two weeks. And we actually have let him have visits about every other day, with close watch. I can look around for a clutch tomorrow. She has not been maybe for several weeks though, almost a month (unless of course, she’s been hiding them).

We cant leave her there though because its too cold. Could she be getting picked on? Something else? How can I help her?
Too cold?

Guessing she's molting and not 'feeling well'.
Should pass within a few days to a week.
Higher protein feed would be good during a molt.

Back
Top Bottom