different diet for different age?

Nstamilla

In the Brooder
Oct 28, 2020
I have a flock of chicken in various different age groups, some are about 20 weeks and at least one is only 10 weeks. I heard it’s important for the older chickens to get calcium in their diet, but it can be poisonous for the younger ones who are not laying eggs yet. How do I manage the different dietary requirements of the different age groups?

I would get an All Flock feed and offer oyster shell in a separate dish, so they can take what they need. If you plan on having chicks, you can get all flock in crumble form.

It's important for actively laying hens to get the calcium that they need. Excess calcium can be hard on males, chicks, pullets before POL and older hens that don't lay anymore. It would take a while for it to show up, but it's better to take that issue out of the equation.

x5

For reasons of cost and convenience, many owners switch to a "layer" feed if they have a flock of entirely laying hens, because its cheap and meets the minimum average dietary needs for laying hens in commercial setting.

For many of us with backyard flocks of mixed breeds, ages, sometimes including roosters, and more frequently including additional species (like me and my ducks - see my flock in my signature, below), the only practical, pragmatic solution is an "All Flock" or "Flock Raiser" type feed, which are marketing terms for a moderate protein (18-20%) feed - enough to raise young birds, more than adequate for layers, which doesn't result in scrawny meaties (though they will be slower to plump), with a mix of minerals supporting breed needs in addition to chickens, without being dangerous to chickens.

Because it has less calcium (usually around 1 - 1.25%) than layer (usually 3.5-4%), we supplement with free choice oyster shell. Initially, all the birds will try it, because its new. they will almost immediately lose interest. The birds who are actually laying, however, will crave it an consume it as needed to maintain their calcium levels, while your babies, your males, and your non-laying hens (such as during molt) will leave it mostly alone.

and then we only need to stock one food, and don't have to segregate for feedings.

Yes, its a little more expensive this way, usually $1-2 / 50#, but my time is worth something too. I find the trade off more than fair, and my birds are healthier for it.

Last edited:
I like a feed with 18% Protein and buy a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower feed with a container of Oyster Shells separately.
20201021_052441_resized.jpg

I'll buy a All-Flock crumble 20% if my regular feed is sold out.
I haven't fed a Layers feed in 3 years. GC

Back
Top Bottom