Different hatch times?

codeman

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 11, 2008
Can eggs put in the bator at the identical time have different hatch days? On day 17 I candeled my eggs and was expecting 8 to make it....early this morning (day 20) 3 hatched and since then no other eggs have pips or are even moving or making a sound. Could the rest just be late compared to their 3 siblings? Can I open the bator tonight and candle the remaining eggs to see if there is any activity?

Thank you so much for your help...this is my first hatch and so far has been a wonderful experience!

Depending on how the eggs were stored before setting you can have different hatch dates. Some development can start if the eggs are warm enough and that can result in them hatching a day or so early. I always have to try to get to the eggs before my little blue cochin (who is almost always broody) finds them and starts setting on them. Later this spring I will be letting the poor thing actually hatch something!

Richard

Some development can start if the eggs are warm enough and that can result in them hatching a day or so early.

This would usually result in early death. Eggs that reach incubating temperature then cool die straight away. Eggs that reach temps above 70 or 75, then later cool can start to develop but die in first few days.

However, you said these were on day 20, so best estimate is that they are just early. If the bulk of the hatch arrives early, then that just calibrated your thermometer for you. Set it 1F lower next time.​

Back
Top Bottom