Different Hens--Different Taste

PugetCountry

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 2, 2013
Olympia, WA
So I'm up to 3 laying hens with our BO laying first. I was so excited to get eggs finally but was a little surprised that her eggs weren't that tasty to me.

Then the BA and EE started laying and I noticed I heavily favored their eggs.

Anyone else notice different taste/texture in eggs from chickens in same flock, food, access to outdoors etc.

I would think that you'd have to be super duper sensitive to taste any difference.

There have been blind (literally blindfolded) taste tests that couldn't tell the diff between store bought and farm fresh eggs.

We eat with our eyes and minds.

I eat with my mouth.........

You will never convince me that eggs from a free ranging well fed hen will taste the same as a store bought egg.

That's very interesting that you are noticing a difference. Does the shell look different at all? What about the egg white? (runny, watery, thick, etc.) If there are abnormalities in the egg appearance, shell quality, albumin, etc., it could point to a disease or abnormality. Barring any physical differences in the eggs, if it's just flavor, I have no idea what could be causing that.

The eggs inside and out look great. I noticed when I cracked it that it had a stronger smell than the other ones. Not a bad smell but just more of an egg smell. I did a taste test and my husband didn't think there was a difference and gobbled it down.

I guess I found it interesting that I was looking forward to getting the other eggs and saving the BO's for my husband. Wondered if anyone else had favorites based on taste or texture.

I would think that you'd have to be super duper sensitive to taste any difference.

There have been blind (literally blindfolded) taste tests that couldn't tell the diff between store bought and farm fresh eggs.

We eat with our eyes and minds.

The only difference I ever note is that when they have more access to free range feeding the eggs taste much richer. When they are stuck eating mostly processed feed the eggs might as well come from the grocery store. Maybe the BO prefers the processed feed they get and doesn't eat as many bugs and natural things as the others.

I've never noticed a difference between our hens' eggs (we mix them all anyway). But I can definitely tell a difference between our free-range girls and the store eggs. I think it has a lot to do with what they are eating. It's the same as when a lactating cow eats lots of fresh alfalfa and her milk gets a bitter aftertaste.

I eat with my mouth.........

You will never convince me that eggs from a free ranging well fed hen will taste the same as a store bought egg.
The point of the blindfolded taste test was that what you see as you eat affects your perception of taste.
There was also tests done with the nose plugged because smell also affects taste and perception.

I don't know what the farm egg chickens were fed.

Back
Top Bottom