Different of raising chickens.

obsessedwchicks

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 12, 2013
How do you raise your chickens? Do you raise them just to be chickens and lay eggs or do you raise them to love them, just be chickens and lay eggs? I'm having a hard time trying to figure out if I absolutely wanna love on my very first hatch that I'm getting as my own or just do what my daddy has taught, and let them be chickens and lay eggs. I've seen some people do both and just really want really calm chickens instead of chickens that won't allow me to come in the pen because they have a habit of flying in and out. But is that what chickens do? Beginner here!

I really wanna enjoy them, I mean I enjoy the chickens my dad bought because he lets me act like they are mine. But I just don't want the chickens I buy with my own money to like fly every where when their bigger and me just not be able to conquer my fear of flying things hahaha.

There are breeds that designed, by type, breeding and nature to be what it called "flighty". If this is an attribute that bother you and it you're not alone, then investigate breeds that are designed and bred to be more docile. There are many fine choices of such breeds. This is what makes the world go round. There are breeds for everyone and most people do indeed find their favorites.

For my first hatch, I'm getting Delaware and Golden Sex Links. So I'm hoping their pretty calm. I just hate seeing our 4-5 month old chickens flying everywhere to the point I can't go in there. But with our bigger hens that are laying I have no problem going in there. So I'm mixed feelings with all this, ha!

Hey Obsessedwchicks - I found you! See - you already have people joining your thread. Great job. There are lots of fine people here that will give lots of different opinions. You will find what works best for you and your "chicken style". Smile and Enjoy
big_smile.png

You are AWESOME! I'm enjoying this process. I just wish I could remember all of it in this brain of mine! ha!

Back
Top Bottom