Different POULTRY Living Together? Which FOWL Types **UPDATE**

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

I have a 16x16' run, and keep my personal flock of chickens, turkeys, pheasants, chukars, and guineas all together...
hu.gif
no problems so far, and no undue picking.
smile.png

Quail are kept in their own pens/cages, as are the ducks.

hmmm.... Now you got me thinkin'....
smile.png

Okay heres a question for you intellegent people...

I would like to have as few of pens as possible, so could this list all be in one GIANT pen together?

Turkeys
Peacocks
Guineas
Quail
Chuckar Partridge
Pheasants

Would that work or would I have alot of problems?

Quote:
Yes, aslong as there are different structures available, especially for the tiny ones.
Peacocks and Turkeys are not great matches, if you are keeping the boys. the boys canot be in the same pen without killing each other in some way or form.

Quote:
What type of quail are you talking about? Bobwhites like to fly and roost up high, but also nest on the ground where the other birds can get the eggs. Coturnix are ground dwellers, so they would be better off in their own pen. The pheasants, chukars, guineas and turkeys can go together... I don't raise peacocks, so I don't know if there's anything to watch out for them. It would probably need to be a really big, really giant pen, though.
smile.png

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Quote:
What type of quail are you talking about? Bobwhites like to fly and roost up high, but also nest on the ground where the other birds can get the eggs. Coturnix are ground dwellers, so they would be better off in their own pen. The pheasants, chukars, guineas and turkeys can go together... I don't raise peacocks, so I don't know if there's anything to watch out for them. It would probably need to be a really big, really giant pen, though.
smile.png

I really would like either valley or gamble quail, but I dont know where they are availbale.

So, I should keep the turkeys and Peacocks seperate? Thats not a big deal, because that was my original plan in the first place.​

Quote:
smile.png

I really would like either valley or gamble quail, but I dont know where they are availbale.

So, I should keep the turkeys and Peacocks seperate? Thats not a big deal, because that was my original plan in the first place.

I really don't know about the peafowl... but the Valley and Gambel quail are fairly small and should probably have their own pen. I have 3 Gambels and I can't imagine them being out in the pen with the turkeys... they'd probably stay up high, so they might be ok, but considering how hard they are to come by, I wouldn't want to risk them being stepped on by the turkeys.

Honestly, the only reason I was trying to keep as many as I could together, is because gate dog kennel panels are SO expensive.
barnie.gif

I guess I could do some more seperating.

Would Turkeys and Guineas do okay together?

I think you are trying to do too much at once! Add gradually to your flock. You have chickens, so pick the one next thing you want to add. Ducks are relatively easy and while messy, can live quite happily in a yard with chickens.

When you get where you are happy with both ducks and chickens, add another thing.

Expand gradually, one thing at a time. Less expensive and less headache.

Back
Top Bottom