Different stages in the incubator

MishkaMash

In the Brooder
Nov 18, 2016
So after having success incubating goose eggs, I've put a dozen chicken eggs (from ISA's - not sure what rooster) into my incubator.

I've weeded them down to 7, although I didn't chuck any viable ones because I've just candled them to put them in lockdown (due to hatch in 4 days ( and they all appear to different stages!?

How does that work? None had begun developing when I set them, they all went in at the same time, same conditions yet they seem to vary from 'on track' to I'd guess maybe 12 days, possibly earlier without actually comparing side by side to photos.

And the 'younger' ones are alive, I can see them moving.

How does that even work? I get some variance - but its a pretty dramatic difference.

Next question is, how do I deal with hatching etc... just get them out as soon as there are no other pips? I only have one incubtor.

That doesn't make sense to me either.

I take mine out as they hatch always.I've lost a few due to leaving active chicks in there so grab them as soon as their near dry. Quick grab with side of lid opened just enough to get hand in there.

That doesn’t work unless they are not all chicken eggs or someone has been switching them on you. You don’t have a serious practical joker in the house so you? With 4 days to go you should basically see an egg with a solid blob down low and a very clear air cell above. I know you said you saw movement in the really underdeveloped ones but the only thing that makes sense to me is that those eggs stopped developing a week ago. Time will tell.

First a little basic information. A chick absorbs the yolk just before hatch. They can live off of this for at least three full 24-hour days and often quite a bit more. That’s the reason they can be shipped in the mail. You don’t have to take them out earlier than three days after hatch.

There is a reason there is a warning against opening the incubator during hatch. It is possible you can shrink-wrap a chick doing that. There is a membrane that forms around the chick to protect it from touching the inside of the egg shell and sticking. If that membrane gets too dry it can shrink around the chick, preventing it from moving to hatch. When you open the incubator you let the humidity out. If the chick has pipped it is “possible” that membrane can dry out. It does happen.

“Possible” does not mean it happens each and every time without fail. “Possible” does not mean it happens all that often. Lots of people open the incubator all the time during hatch without a problem. Some take precautions like running the humidity during lockdown extra high. Some may mist warm water in the incubator or even on the eggs when they open it. Some take no special precautions and still have no problems. Sometimes it happens anyway if the humidity is too low during lockdown even if you don’t open it.

I personally do not open the incubator during lockdown or hatch unless I have a special reason. Since it is possible it could cause a problem I consider it good practice to not take unnecessary chances. However, if I have a reason to open it to handle an issue going on inside the incubator I will open it and take my chances.

That doesn’t work unless they are not all chicken eggs or someone has been switching them on you. You don’t have a serious practical joker in the house so you? With 4 days to go you should basically see an egg with a solid blob down low and a very clear air cell above. I know you said you saw movement in the really underdeveloped ones but the only thing that makes sense to me is that those eggs stopped developing a week ago. Time will tell.

First a little basic information. A chick absorbs the yolk just before hatch. They can live off of this for at least three full 24-hour days and often quite a bit more. That’s the reason they can be shipped in the mail. You don’t have to take them out earlier than three days after hatch.

There is a reason there is a warning against opening the incubator during hatch. It is possible you can shrink-wrap a chick doing that. There is a membrane that forms around the chick to protect it from touching the inside of the egg shell and sticking. If that membrane gets too dry it can shrink around the chick, preventing it from moving to hatch. When you open the incubator you let the humidity out. If the chick has pipped it is “possible” that membrane can dry out. It does happen.

“Possible” does not mean it happens each and every time without fail. “Possible” does not mean it happens all that often. Lots of people open the incubator all the time during hatch without a problem. Some take precautions like running the humidity during lockdown extra high. Some may mist warm water in the incubator or even on the eggs when they open it. Some take no special precautions and still have no problems. Sometimes it happens anyway if the humidity is too low during lockdown even if you don’t open it.

I personally do not open the incubator during lockdown or hatch unless I have a special reason. Since it is possible it could cause a problem I consider it good practice to not take unnecessary chances. However, if I have a reason to open it to handle an issue going on inside the incubator I will open it and take my chances.

I know, it makes absolutely no sense, it defies everything but they're definitely moving - no blood circle, healthy veins etc. Tomorrow night marks 21days in incubator. Could they have just taken longer to start developing once put in the incubator?

No one here would have switched them, that'd mean sourcing more eggs - and as far as I know, they're all chicken eggs. They all look the same and cane from same place. :/

Re shrink wrapping: I had this happen to one of my geese, I had to help her hatch and shes fine now, but yeah, obviously don't want it happening again.

Will be interesting to see what happens. :/

Thanks so much for your input! Its very much appreciated! :)

First baby is out - no other pips tho as yet.

Could be that your incubator has cool zones and warm zones. Rotating the placement of the eggs in the incubator helps solve this problem a bit.

Possibly... it has a fan in it and auto rotates though? I incubated goose eggs fine in it.

Well, the one that has hatched so far is a day early. I'll keep you updated on the rest... I think theres only one 'questionable' one now.

Back
Top Bottom