Difficult reintroduction

jjared

Chirping
May 21, 2017
Golden comet injured 3 weeks ago; could never determine how she injured her leg, but when I found her, it was dangling and she wouldn't use it at all. Removed her from the flock and kept her in a pen in the garage where the other girls couldn't see her. She has slowly recovered with only a slight, occasional limp and is ready to go back into the coop and run. I put her in a large metal kennel inside the run for several days, letting her out with the others when it was time to free range, thinking the open space would make the transition easier. Each time I let her out in the run (plenty of room), she is attacked. She is bald and her comb is scabbing over. I let her put herself to bed last night and she resumed her spot on the top rung of the roost, but she was being bullied again this morning. At this point, she runs to me or my husband for protection and does not really interact with the flock. Ideas?

Golden comet injured 3 weeks ago; could never determine how she injured her leg, but when I found her, it was dangling and she wouldn't use it at all. Removed her from the flock and kept her in a pen in the garage where the other girls couldn't see her. She has slowly recovered with only a slight, occasional limp and is ready to go back into the coop and run. I put her in a large metal kennel inside the run for several days, letting her out with the others when it was time to free range, thinking the open space would make the transition easier. Each time I let her out in the run (plenty of room), she is attacked. She is bald and her comb is scabbing over. I let her put herself to bed last night and she resumed her spot on the top rung of the roost, but she was being bullied again this morning. At this point, she runs to me or my husband for protection and does not really interact with the flock. Ideas?

So... I don't think she is running to you for "protection" that's really not in a chickens psyche. She may be more social or she may think you're bringing her treats. Not interacting with the flock on re-introduction though is common, as is them roughing her up. She was an intricate part of the pecking order when you pulled her out- then they had 3 weeks to establish a new order- and then you put her back in once they had their new laws and treaties written up. The longer hens can establish their pecking order, the more rigid (aka defended / fought over) it becomes. Now, they have to re-establish every bit of the pecking order and it sounds like she was near the top, if not at the top, and has likely dropped a few rungs given her injury. So she's likely giving out some pecking too, you're just not seeing it. Regardless, they should work it out- but like @Soy Milano said, if you can introduce a Roo is can really calm things down.

Try this, put a middle of the flock bird with her. They will duke it out, but it is one on one. Wait until they are really getting along, add two more birds. Two on two, and then add them back to the flock. It will still create a dust up, but it will be spread over more birds. The flock against a single bird in a confined area can be tough.

Mrs K

Here is a good infographic with different tactics for introducing/reintroducing birds. My personal suggestion would be to adopt a rooster into the flock, as they often act as mediators and prevent drama between hens - http://www.poultrydvm.com/featured-infographic/caring-for-newly-adopted-chicken

I never realized a roo would eliminate drama between the girls. I actually had one and gave him away last week because he was the worst to her, sprinting to attack her as soon as she was out. I've ordered some of those chicken blinders in hopes they will help. Thanks!

Yes! Getting a rooster will get hens to calm down and they can become a flock of one. Yes it will take a few weeks, but I have witnessed this many times with my own chickens. Even if you have to replace a rooster, its the fact that he's now the boss not the hens or head hen.

Not all roosters are polite and nice to all the hens. I have 2 rooters (came together about 5 ys old) who chased my original hens away from the 3 hens the roosters also came with. It has been about 1 month now and they all can eat next to each other and go out together. I monitored them, chased the roosters off my original hens a few times.. but it all worked out. The rooster may have seen them as a threat cause its not from what he knows to be his "original" flock.

Last edited:
How big is your coop and run in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help immensely.
How many birds total, with ages and genders?
Coop is 10x10; I have two runs each being 30x8. One is covered, and one is open on top; they are connected and both are open first thing in the summer. I have a total of 19 hens, 0 roos. 4 (including the hen I've referenced) are 2-1/2 years old, 4 are 1-1/2 years, and 11 are 16 weeks or so. The two giving her the most grief are among those raised with her. She was top of the pecking order before her injury, even though she's smaller than most of the other birds.

Try this, put a middle of the flock bird with her. They will duke it out, but it is one on one. Wait until they are really getting along, add two more birds. Two on two, and then add them back to the flock. It will still create a dust up, but it will be spread over more birds. The flock against a single bird in a confined area can be tough.

Mrs K
This is a great idea; thanks!

Coop is 10x10; I have two runs each being 30x8. One is covered, and one is open on top; they are connected and both are open first thing in the summer. I have a total of 19 hens, 0 roos. 4 (including the hen I've referenced) are 2-1/2 years old, 4 are 1-1/2 years, and 11 are 16 weeks or so. The two giving her the most grief are among those raised with her. She was top of the pecking order before her injury, even though she's smaller than most of the other birds.
Excellent info, thanks.
Any chance those runs both connect to the coop so you could split coop space?

Back
Top Bottom