Difficulty choosing feed - No "all flock" available in the U.K

Spetznaaz

Chirping
Hello,

So i've come to the end of the layer pellets we had and have been reading about what is best to feed our two Silkies. From my reading, the best thing to do would probably be give "all flock" feed and have separate containers for oyster shells and grit.

The problem is, here in the U.K we seem to only have layers feed and growers feed (which seem to have similar amounts of protein). I want to use organic feed and found this, with 16 percent protein and 1 percent calcium: https://www.organicfeed.co.uk/growerfinishing-pellets/

Does anyone know if that would be suitable? I want to to give our girls whatever is best for them.

Last edited:
Do you know if there are any micronutrients or something that are needed which may differ between layer feed and grower feed?
Layers need more calcium than growing chicks, but for all the other nutrients, chicks need just as much or maybe more than layers do. (If chicks need more of any nutrient, it will not be enough more to do any harm to adult chickens.)

Since you already intend to have oyster shell available separately (for calcium), that food should do just fine.

Layers need more calcium than growing chicks, but for all the other nutrients, chicks need just as much or maybe more than layers do. (If chicks need more of any nutrient, it will not be enough more to do any harm to adult chickens.)

Since you already intend to have oyster shell available separately (for calcium), that food should do just fine.

Brilliant, i'll order that one then. Thank you for the advice.

Hello,

So i've come to the end of the layer pellets we had and have been reading about what is best to feed our two Silkies. From my reading, the best thing to do would probably be give "all flock" feed and have separate containers for oyster shells and grit.

The problem is, here in the U.K we seem to only have layers feed and growers feed (which seem to have similar amounts of protein). I want to use organic feed and found this, with 16 percent protein and 1 percent calcium: https://www.organicfeed.co.uk/growerfinishing-pellets/

Does anyone know if that would be suitable? I want to to give our girls whatever is best for them.
I always add a side of oyster shell grit, that takes care of whether they have enough calcium or not. I keep oyster shell for the gals available all the time and granite grit for my roo who would live a more abbreviated life if he ate too much calcium. The birds seem to know what's good for them. My roo avoids layer pellets and he eats the grower feed. the gals prefer the layer pellets and they all love veg scraps any time and in as big an amount as I can give them. The gals love the calcium grit and will also consume granite grit but the roo only prefers granite grit. If you ever have your birds go through a molt add extra proteins. Any hen that's broody needs a protein burst because shes not eating as she should. I give a handful of boon worms to broody chickens even if I am trying to break them of the broodiness. Sub zero windchill temps is not the time to try to hatch a clutch of eggs. 15-16% proteins is perfect for laying hens. Their calcium needs fluctuate and 1% calcium may not be enough, a side of oyster shell grit should cover any extra needs. The chickens seem to sense what they need extra, and will consume it if available.

Back
Top Bottom