diffrence between cuckoo and barred

Quote:
If by barred you mean where bars are tighter forming rings when lining up on adjacent feathers, then you can have a distinction. If that is what is meant, then American dominiques are cuckoo and Plymouth barred rocks are barred. The cuckoo pattern has bars on individual feathers but they do not align with bars on adjacent feathers.

In fishes where definition makes more since, barred animals have vertical bands of pigment. Stripes are horizontal.

Quote:
I am not certain if it is a consistent mechanism. In my dominiques crosses with Plymouth barred rocks and California greys, the ringed / barred pattern is associated with a barring allele that switches on and off more quickly forming narrower bands and / or slow feathering alleles promoting same with more pronounced contrast between light and dark bands of bars on individual feathers. Barred rocks have combination of rapid switching barring allele plus multiple loci coding for slow feathering. One of the slow feathering loci is autosomal while while the other is sex-linked (Z-chromosome). Dominiques (cuckoo) have at least one slow feathering locus, some have the sex-linked version as well. Doms lacking the slow feathering allele have have smoky looking bars and feathers like on a leghorn or Old English game.

Leg colouring is entirely different genes.

Barring as in plymouth rocks (et. al.) has the slow feathering gene, giving time for precise detail to be created in the white bars. cuckoo- barring as in dominiques or marans has the fast feathering (as in "not-slow") gene, because the feathers grow more rapidly, there is less time for precise creation of the bars, and they are smudged.

Autosomal barring is a combination of genes; this gives a "concentric ring around the body" appearance. The barring gene does not cause the bars from one feather t line up with another. However, in a good quality barred bird, the bars will be precise and even, and if the feathers line up, the bars will to some extent, also.

Okay, so I just gotta ask because I really don't know the answer to this -

Can I still get slow feathering barring if I cross a good bird with such traits out to a non-barred, and work from there? How dominant of a trait are we talking about, and are we talking about more than one gene to get the full effect?

I know crossing a Cuckoo out makes the barring get less and less each time, but for a nice crisp slow feathering bird like in show quality Barred Rocks, I'm curious if introducing it to a new breed would work, and what it takes. Or would I get mostly Cuckoos?

Quote:
I am seeing three distinct growth rates in respect to flight feathers i.e. fast (wild-type), intermediate (dominique) and slow (barred rock).

Some locus must be at play causing ringed effect since it can occasionally pop up in pure doms although bars wider than in barred rocks.

How do you test for presence of autosomal barring? Does it give barred look in otherwise black birds?

Quote:
I am getting the cuckoo pattern in F1 cross between doms and American game. Some of my American games may have autosomal barring if that is some of what it takes to make the redquill pattern. Fixing subsequent generations for barring allele in my line with fast feathering only will yeild the smokey / smudged look. I hope the autosomal barring complex, if present, will make for sharper contrast between bands despite rapid feather growth.

Back
Top Bottom