Diffrent types of chicken combs??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickenwoods, Aug 5, 2007.

1. chickenwoods

chickenwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Whats the deal with the odd chicken combs,I just got a brahma rooster and his comb is like a shrivled bag,not a regual pointy comb like most of my chickens..Is it in the birds breed,or is it a defect?

Also, in feb.my buddy picked me up a turkey(supposebly)it looks like a wyndotte,but he is 5 1/2 months or so and he/she is one of my smallest birds.Making me thing it is not a turkey....It was supposed to me a male,but ive seen my roo mate it.(hope its a female,for my roo's sake) It has a bag like comb also. It talks like a chicken too. Is it a chicken or a turkey?????????????????
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Maybe some pictures will help. As for chicken vs turkey. Turkey guys should gobble.
  3. FrozenChicken

FrozenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Brahma's have wierd combs have a dark one and it's it like you said a shriveled bag.
  4. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

My silver spangled Hamburg has a weird comb also,not sure what it is called,but I have heard of "walnut combs".... it is flat and bumpy...............maybe someone can help you out with a site to check out.............I do think it is normal though.different breeds and all.............got pics?
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2007
  5. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
  6. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you PoisonIvy..........can you tell me why some call some combs "walnut" ? is that the same as the rose on this site..............
  7. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Quote:Is a pea Comb

Quote:Is a Rose comb.

You can look up the comb type of your chicken on Hendersons chart
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by