Difinitive Sq. Ft. per chicken rule?

chvojka

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 23, 2009
Central Michigan
Hi all I have been reading and found numerous answers on the square footage per chicken rule both inside and outside coop/run. What is the healthy but not rediculous answer (realizing more is always better)?

There is no true answer, YOUR answer should be what you feel makes your chickens happy if that is what you are striving for.

If you are raising for Meat or Eggs and dont care about Happyness of the chicken, they can be raised touching each other, as long as they can get to food and water they will SURVIVE. Thousands if not Millions of chickens are raised each year and never see sunlight, get to chase a bug, or get held by a human other when shoved into a cage to start laying or to go to market, the question is how do you want to raise yours.

If I am building a coop, I would shoot for 4 sqft/bird, but if I am selling you a coop I will tell you that my 4x6 coop is big enough to house 15 laying hens. So again it comes back to what you are looking to get out of your birds.

. There is no right or wrong just varrying Opinions.

Even the "experts" can't agree. MOST seem to say that w/standard breeds, 4 sq.ft. per bird in the coop, and 10 sq. ft. per bird in the run (unless they freerange daily). I believe that bantums are half that. However, almost everyone says that if chickens seem happy and content, not picking at others, etc., then you probably have enough room, even if it's a little less than the "ideal."

Consider this, too: the more space per bird, the easier job for you, keeping things clean.

I

Quote:
Actually you have stated it yourself.

More is always better.

That is the only DEFINITIVE and guaranteed-correct rule there is.

Anything else is just personal opinion on where, on a gradual continuum, things stop being "likely to be more or less ok". Which varies with geography/climate, coop setup, run size or whether the're free ranging, what their run is *like*, type of chickens, particular personalities of particular chickens, your personal management style, and your personal take on what is ok vs not-so-good vs not-ok living conditions for animals.

Pat

Back
Top Bottom