Diflucan or other oral antifungal

In one of my hens vent gleet was not the issue, although that's what it appeared to be. The nasty poo running down & accumulating in feathers was a symptom, not the cause. 1st thing I did was wash & dry her poor sore bottom, and plucked out a few nasty feathers. In her case, I did take a fresh stool sample to a vet for testing. A bird could have worms, bacterial or mycoplasma, coccidiosis or even peritonitis, to cause runny droppings, so a correct diagnosis is best. Even vets that don't see chickens will do a fecal test.

After any treatment, providing probiotics will help, too. I use ProBios, mix into drinking water, 1 tablespoon per gallon.

Best of luck!
Thank you for the information, here's a few pics for your reference.
I appreciate all the information
She got a bath about 8-9 hrs ago and this has accumulated since.
I hope I can figure this out!
It's frustrating! Does it look like gleet to you?
Jen

Attachments

• 20211103_093733.jpg
    20211103_093733.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20211103_165049.jpg
    20211103_165049.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 8
  • 20211103_165044.jpg
    20211103_165044.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20211103_170939.jpg
    20211103_170939.jpg
    401.8 KB · Views: 7
If you live in the US you can buy Safeguard (fenbendazole) for goats and Corid (amprolium, you could try this instead of the toltrazuril). Both are available OTC.

Enrofloxacin is available online without a prescription, but it's banned for use in poultry, so you would only use that as a last resort.
I'm in Canada, so I'll try to find them.
Thank you for the information.
I really need some help with this, as I'm a new bird mom and want to help this girl out. I posted a few pics on another reply - to 'confirm' possible gleet.
Jen

Thank you for the information, here's a few pics for your reference.
I appreciate all the information
She got a bath about 8-9 hrs ago and this has accumulated since.
I hope I can figure this out!
It's frustrating! Does it look like gleet to you?
Jen
Without getting a sample of it tested there's no way to know exactly what is causing it.

I'm in Canada, so I'll try to find them.
Thank you for the information.
I really need some help with this, as I'm a new bird mom and want to help this girl out. I posted a few pics on another reply - to 'confirm' possible gleet.
Jen
Did you ever get this resolved? I have one I've tried everything for vent gleet and she's still struggling. It's been a month now.

Back
Top Bottom