Dig proof tractor coop

ckemp47

Hatching
10 Years
Dec 31, 2009
I am new to raising chickens. I have 4 chicks, 2 RIR and 2 Barred Rocks who are now almost 3 weeks old. I have been studying the pictures of diffferent kinds of coops and runs, and want to build a tractor coop/run for these girls so they can forage and I can move them around to different areas of my back yard. I am gradually getting my dogs desensitized to them, but dont't want to leave anything to chance, so here's what I thought might work....If I attach weldwire to the bottom of the run, the dogs won't be able to dig into the run, and the grasas will still poke through so the chickens can forage. Has anyone tried this, or think of a reason why this would not be a good idea? All opinions welcomed
smile.png

Your plan sounds like it will work good. I have alot of experience making different types of coops and have done just what you are planning and it worked great. I would suggest usin welded wire that has holes that are 1 inch by 2 inch. You may want to look into supplementing grit due to the fact that they will not be able to scratch around with the wire on the bottom.

The only thing I can think of is that if you wire the bottom it will be harder for the chocks to walk along with you as you move the tractor. Their feet could get through the wire and when you moved forward, youch!

I moved mine while they were roosting so they didn't walk along with me, you could just to that to solve the problem.

I did look at the tractor coops in this section, but don't remember seeing one with a bottom, unless I missed it. Got lots of ideas, though, thx.

YOu could alway lay down a "skirt" of wire around the bottom of the tractor after you move it. Just set the edges of it under the sides of the tractor and tac down with landscape staples. The "skirt" on my tractor folds up slightly so I can move it and then I drop it down and put in the staples

Back
Top Bottom