Dig proofing run

I would line the floor with big rocks then put sand and pearocks on top of them my run is 2cinder blocks down all the way around then welded wire then sand then pea rock it used to be mulch but it still got muddy so I scraped it all out and put in the pea rock

The problem with gravel in a chicken run is that all the poop washes down into it and remains there to rot and stink every time it gets wet.

I did the apron skirt but I also did hardware cloth under my run but I didn’t dig, instead I built my run on top of concrete blocks that held down the hardware cloth I laid. I then filled the run with sod, dirt, and sand.
How thick/deep was the fill dirt? Will it be an issue once the chickens dig around in the fill dirt down to the hardware cloth?

How thick/deep was the fill dirt? Will it be an issue once the chickens dig around in the fill dirt down to the hardware cloth?
The fill dirt was up to the top of the bricks. They love digging to have dust baths in the run even when they have the whole yard with dust bath wholes.

Back
Top Bottom