Digital temp and humidity readings

rockyspringsfarm

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 25, 2009
Huntington, Texas
I need some advice please. I have a Little Giant and a Hovabator, both still air. I have the square digital thermometers that also register humidity levels in both. What should the humidity level be reading for these still air incubators for the first 18 days ? Temperatures aren't a problem with either but I am concerned about the correct humidity levels.
Thanks.

I don't have still airs but my Hovabator stays at 100-101 degrees and the humidity stays around 55 ish for the first 18 days and then I bump it up to 65-70 %.
I have the same kind of digital thermometer and what I discovered is that I just need to keep it consistant all the way through. I just returned one that the LED display went bad on but it always read 100-101 for temp. This new one has only been in the bator for 2 days now but the temp only reads 97. My chicks started hatching today right on time.
Good luck and have fun.

Thanks so much for your input. I need to get the humidity levels down on both of these...the readouts in the LG are at 76% and the Hovabator at 77%. I wondered if the still air should read different from the forced air models ? I read in an older BYC post that covering some of the water areas with foil would help. I have uncovered the red plug holes in both which did seem to help some. I am in East Texas and the normal humidity here is very high. The incubators are in a room with fresh air that stays at a pretty constant 78-80 degrees.
I would appreciate hearing from anyone on this issue with the humidity levels in the still airs and how to help correct them.

I run mine with the plugs out all the time. Sounds like you are having ideal outside temps for incubating. Try to keep it around 50% the first 18 days and up to 60-65 the last three. A few days higher or lower won't make or break your hatch, but constantly fluctuating humidity and temps will hatch out a bunch of crippled chicks, very heartbreaking. Been there, done that. That is IF any hatch at all, if none hatch, count yourself lucky for not having to cull them after all that work.

If your humidity outdoors (and indoors) is running much higher than 50% I would consider running a de-humidifier in the room, and adding water to the bator as required to boost the humidity to the required level. It is a lot easier to control it that way than trying to control mother nature.

Hope this helps. Welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom