Digital Thermometers

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rocky4052, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Rocky4052

Rocky4052 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2007
    Southeastern Ma.
    I am going to use digital thermometers with probes for my hatch. One of them also has a hygrometer. Should I make 3 holes in the styrofoam the size of the probe to stick them in? (I can seal it around the edges) Its a hovabator with forced air and a turner. The instructions say if your using existing holes to make sure that it is an air exit hole, not one that draws air cause that could give incorrect readings? I understand that the probes should hang at about the height of the top of the eggs. How would you experts do it?? [​IMG] (This smiley has been me for weeks) Want to do it right. Dan

Oh- I also have a un-heated bedroom that has been steady at about 60 degrees with the door shut. would that be a good place to keep the bator?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:The one with the hygrometer needs to be completely in the incubator. Most people that use the probes use a water wiggler at the same height of the eggs to check the temp.
    You can put the probes of the other ones in there, you shouldn't have to make new holes. Just put the wire under the top and push down a bit on the styro to make it sit right.
    The room you are referring to should be fine, just make sure to watch the temps and run the bator a few days before you put eggs in it.
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by