Dilemma

I have 24 chickens mix of breeds I didn't.want a rooster I bought all pullets lol however I have one rooster for 23 hens as luck would have it he's a white crested black polish my problem is my hens hate him he has very few tail feathers and they have had his head bleeding a few times do I get another rooster is it because I have too many hens for him or will that make his life more miserable
If I understand this correctly it sounds like your flock, including the rooster, are young birds. With this in mind, I'd give him some time to grow into himself. My experience is that, while some birds are always low on the pecking order, in time most flocks work things out pretty amiably. If you can separate him from the others for a bit, or just keep an eye on things and try to break up any real beatings, it might help him find his place. I don't think another rooster would help the situation, but I've not experienced that so I'm not expert. Mainly, I'd just give the little guy some time to grow up and give him some space if you can. Throwing some extra treats on a regular basis may help keep them occupied and take their mind off bothering him for a while. Good luck to you and him!

Back
Top Bottom