Dimensions for Chicken door

birdladyhb

Hatching
9 Years
Feb 13, 2010
First I just love this site and have found so many helpfull tips! My hubby is building me a hen house right now and he wants me to ask what the dimensions for the chicken door should be for them to come in and out of. Thanks in advance!
smile.png

Depends on the size of your birds. I have a 9x12 door for my fat Black and Red Sexies. They pop in and out with no problem but deters most dogs. It also sets up 3ft off the ground. It's got a narrow ladder up to it. Dogs trying to get up it tend to fall off. Has saved several chickens because of it.

Quote:
It depends on 2 things one are they gonna be inside an enclosed area if so the 12x9 will work great if not I would go a little bigger because if they free range and wait for you to open the door everyday it would be a mad dash to get out and they will jam up in the door.
Mine are in the enclosed area but I planed to get fat birds so I made mine just tad bigger it's a 14x14 that way no jams at the door.

I almost forgot
frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
to the BYC Glad you joined us.

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm also planing red and black sexlinks and building this tractor: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=23790-old-style-hen-house-tractor do you think this'll be good for them and just cut the door 9x12? How many red sexies could this tractor fit?

I'd go 4 chickens tops. You still have to add a nest box in there some where. It's only 24 sq ft inside 8x3=24/4ft per chicken=6 chicken BUT this doesn't include the nest box.

Thanks for all the responses. Our coop is 2 ft off the ground and they will have a decent sized fenced in run.

Back
Top Bottom