Diotamaceous earth

Just to add to the confusion.. the DE I am speaking of is the FOOD GRADE DE....not the other DE which you can't eat and
is not a good thing if you get it into your lungs...

NO DE is good to breathe, just as other dusty things are not. Its a great bug killer, which works by cutting open their exoskeleton and drying them out. Its very commonly used as an anti caking agent in many brands of livestock feed. However, it is useless when it gets wet, which is why the instructions on the bag specifically say to keep it dry. In my opinion, it will not work as a wormer and you're wasting you time spreading it anywhere that's going to get rained on.

I use it in a very thin layer under my bedding in all of my coops and brooders, and it does an excellent job of keeping pests at bay, but I don't really think its the miracle cure all some people claim it to be. There is a very extensive DE thread somewhere around this forum. I'm thinking its in the feeding and watering section, but I can't remember. A simple search should find it for you.
OP, I think the suggestion of wetting it down is a good one. And, if there's enough in there that they're stirring it up into the air, there should be no need to reapply. Wear a mask so you aren't huffing it though, and some glasses wouldn't hurt either. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom