Directionally challenged

DonnaScott

Chirping
Aug 13, 2019
Turnersville NJ
Is there a way to shift my Guinea hens to the left neighbors house then to neighbor on the right?

I think the neighbors dog is chasing the hens over to another neighbors fence which makes it impossible to retrieve them. Once left out, I lose some. 3 this weekend alone. It's like a maze for them to get through to get out and as we know once separated they couldnt find their way out of a wet paperbag. The neighbors to the left dont have a dog or a fence... I've now lost 5 to this fence bs and its heartbreaking.

Not to mention exhausting trying to round them up every night ...running around 3 neighbors backyards with a stick.

They dont fly into trees to roost when separated. They sit under bushes and then sadly dont come home.

Any suggestions....please have some

The only way to keep your chickens in your yard is with a fence. The only way to keep them safe is with a secure pen. They cannot be trained to go to one place over another place.

Is there a way to shift my Guinea hens to the left neighbors house then to neighbor on the right?

I think the neighbors dog is chasing the hens over to another neighbors fence which makes it impossible to retrieve them. Once left out, I lose some. 3 this weekend alone. It's like a maze for them to get through to get out and as we know once separated they couldnt find their way out of a wet paperbag. The neighbors to the left dont have a dog or a fence... I've now lost 5 to this fence bs and its heartbreaking.

Not to mention exhausting trying to round them up every night ...running around 3 neighbors backyards with a stick.

They dont fly into trees to roost when separated. They sit under bushes and then sadly dont come home.

Any suggestions....please have some
Guineas can be trained to avoid certain areas by making it very uncomfortable for them to go there. It requires a near constant presence during the training phase. You can start by intercepting them and chasing them home every time that they head in the wrong direction. It takes time and repetition but guineas can learn to avoid places where they are made very uncomfortable.

Personally, I believe an owner should keep their animals on their own property.

Guineas can be trained to avoid certain areas by making it very uncomfortable for them to go there. It requires a near constant presence during the training phase.
That makes me want Guineas! Trainable chickens! How fun is that??? Mine are fenced in, but seems like training could come in handy.

That makes me want Guineas! Trainable chickens! How fun is that??? Mine are fenced in, but seems like training could come in handy.
Guineas are a love, hate relationship. You either love them or hate them. The things that seem to come naturally to chickens, require training to get a guinea to do the same thing consistently.

You can fence guineas in, but unless you cover it also, they will fly out and forget how they got out. You can train them to not fly out but the training will never be 100% successful and the lapses will occur when you least need to deal with it.

One nice thing about guineas is that it is a good thing to have as many males as females. The males will not over breed the females even when there are many more males than females.

Back
Top Bottom