Dirt floor extended run...advice

Hi all, we recently added an extension to our run (our run is deep litter method with organic shavings for flooring) and the extension is just dirt and grass. After just a few days, we are already noticing the poop. I am reluctant to throw down shavings in it because the chickens love scratching through the dirt and grass. Anyone with dirt floor runs have any tips?

When I've set up my runs I haven't started with shavings, I've started with dirt, then that mulchy leaf litter stuff that's basically a mix of dirt, leaf bits, bits of bark, etc. It works great and mine love to scratch in it.

When I've set up my runs I haven't started with shavings, I've started with dirt, then that mulchy leaf litter stuff that's basically a mix of dirt, leaf bits, bits of bark, etc. It works great and mine love to scratch in it.
We started with a dirt ground in our run and have added lots of shavings over the months. When walking in it you sink in from the layers of shavings. I think I need to add some sturdier organic materials too. It's like walking in a foam pit at a gym.

We started with a dirt ground in our run and have added lots of shavings over the months. When walking in it you sink in from the layers of shavings. I think I need to add some sturdier organic materials too. It's like walking in a foam pit at a gym.
I only add shavings in two situations:
-When I am changing the shavings in the coop, I move the old shavings, and the poop with them, into the run.
-When the run gets wet and smelly, I turn the ground and add shavings and sand.
We add some more leaf litter stuff when the run is looking poopy and they distribute it.

I only add shavings in two situations:
-When I am changing the shavings in the coop, I move the old shavings, and the poop with them, into the run.
-When the run gets wet and smelly, I turn the ground and add shavings and sand.
We add some more leaf litter stuff when the run is looking poopy and they distribute it.
That sounds so manageable! I think I am going a little overboard with the addition of a bucket of fresh shavings daily. I have to accept that chickens poop a lot and that is OK lol. Plus they turn it all up with their scratching so it all gets mixed.

Grass clippings go directly from Lawn to run, so twice a week. No long grass, if you have long grass cut grass one day without a grass catcher then the next day add the grass catcher and vacuum up and empty it in the run. Fall leaves from the yard will go directly to the run area.

That sounds so manageable! I think I am going a little overboard with the addition of a bucket of fresh shavings daily. I have to accept that chickens poop a lot and that is OK lol. Plus they turn it all up with their scratching so it all gets mixed.
Yep! It's super easy, and the only time it causes problems is when it gets wet and nasty.

Back
Top Bottom