Dirt floor in barn

Meece31

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2021
South Dakota
Curious how other people manage the floor of a barn. When we moved onto this acerage the was a coop in the barn( white building in pic)already. So we said cool let's have chickens! They free range and come into barn at night. They have a large area in the barn. This is year 3 and we have put straw on the ground (not completely covered!) I have not cleaned it out very often at all. Barn does not stink. Chickens have been healthy. Could this be maintained differently or better? Looking for ideas. Today I'm just raking off top layer to clean up feathers,some straw and whatever poo. We now have 40 chickens. Dried poo in the dirt cause health problems in the future?

Attachments

• 1636402537914543296579574470464.jpg
    1636402537914543296579574470464.jpg
    982.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 16364026006787217755250503396858.jpg
    16364026006787217755250503396858.jpg
    1,021.7 KB · Views: 42
Im not a fan of organic material because i have a mite problem. Mites may develop in dried poo and hay. I think mites is your most dangerous problem.

Your setup looks near perfect, and raking is probably the best way to clean. Maybe bringing in more sand on the floor may make cleaning easier.

You have a space to commercially create chickens if you wanted to. Commercial setups use concrete and the chickens have no space, so sand and dirt is more comfy for the chickens i think. I personally use sand and dirt in my sleeping areas and the chickens sleep perched above the ground. I rarely have to do anything besides sweep once in a while, but when it rains i get water flowing inside too. So i see why dust would be a concern. Maybe a heavy grit sand that wouldn't introduce dust particles would be good to bring in. River rock sand is what i have and it is good, except i hate raking with stones present but the larger grit sand is great.

Where do they roost?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1636418784513.png

That much space, that many chickens, I don't see a problem. My chickens have a dirt run (the barn alley). There are some pine shavings mostly from raking out the coop (converted horse stall).

I am surprised though that you haven't lost any to raccoons or weasels since there is no predator safe space in the barn.

Looks like a nice set up, Id keep doing what youre doing seems like its working great. Dried poop wont be a problem 👍 like above poster said, if mites are ever a problem itll be a big hassle removing all that organic matter but since they have plenty of area to dust bathe I wouldnt be concerned. Mites are a big problem here and the one coop I keep pine shavings in, I let the birds out to free range frequently to dust bathe which keeps the mites at bay. Like the other poster said, I agree if you dont shut the barn doors predators could and most likely will be a problem at some point, but if the openings are all closed at night then you're set 🤟 BTW those birds look very healthy!

Wow a month later and I find the replies!! Whoops! thanks for the info, I will put in my location! We are in South Dakota. The chickens roost in the small white building in the 2nd picture

Looks like a nice set up, Id keep doing what youre doing seems like its working great. Dried poop wont be a problem 👍 like above poster said, if mites are ever a problem itll be a big hassle removing all that organic matter but since they have plenty of area to dust bathe I wouldnt be concerned. Mites are a big problem here and the one coop I keep pine shavings in, I let the birds out to free range frequently to dust bathe which keeps the mites at bay. Like the other poster said, I agree if you dont shut the barn doors predators could and most likely will be a problem at some point, but if the openings are all closed at night then you're set 🤟 BTW those birds look very healthy!

Hello! Just noticed your reply! Yikes a month later!. Anyways yes..so far 3rd year no mites issues. I know where to go if I do!. The barn is closed up at night but barn kitties can get in at out so it's not a perfect system. We have lost 1 chicken due to a skunk. 😬

Back
Top Bottom