Dirt run, totally covered.. but smells what can I put down until I can find sand??

karlamaria

Songster
8 Years
Jan 30, 2011
Western montana
I have tried to find sand, but no summer sand available yet, and the local sand guy says he will dump it in my alley, but I will have to haul it and I have to wait until school is out to find summer help. what can I put in my pen now to take away oder? my coops smells fine, but my run is less then pretty smelling, though its totally dry and never had water on the ground ( thank goodness ) I wish I had known about sand when I started. what can I put down to counteract the smell of the dirt when I finally lay down that sand??
thanks

Last edited:
I use food grade DE (Diatomaceous Earth). It helps to dry the poop and minimizes odors. It's also good to put some in the coop to help prevent lice and mites. There are a million threads (or nearly a million lol) on DE where you can read more about it. Just make sure that if you get some that it is FOOD GRADE. Otherwise it can be very damaging to your chickens.

I use food grade DE (Diatomaceous Earth). It helps to dry the poop and minimizes odors. It's also good to put some in the coop to help prevent lice and mites. There are a million threads (or nearly a million lol) on DE where you can read more about it. Just make sure that if you get some that it is FOOD GRADE. Otherwise it can be very damaging to your chickens.
I have that, and add it to my coop every week. DE has always been the standard in my yard also to kill bugs off my plants and garden. Did not know if it was good to throw it on the dirt, will look into that further Also going to go look up sweet PDZ thanks much!

Back
Top Bottom