1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dirty bunny bum

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by joletabey, Sep 14, 2011.

1. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    I am relatively new to rabbits and need a little advice, please. Miss Bun always has packed poo on her butt. I do not see her eating her cecal (spelling?) droppings anymore, either. She gets Oxbow Timothy hay, about 1/8 cup of pellets a day - mix of Purina Show Chow and a good pellet that is not alfalfa based, as I thought maybe the Show chow was too rich. She gets a little piece of kale in the morning, an occasional baby carrot, an occasional alfalfa chew, and two yogurt covered timothy hay treats at night. Someone had said oats would help, I have tried adding a little bit to her pellets, no luck. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. aceschix

aceschix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Honestly it sounds like she is getting too many "treats".

Mine get the show ready pelleted complet food and they get free choose hay. Not straight alfalfa. They may get a baby carrot a week from the kids and that is all. If you have a good pellet they really do not need anything else. The hay is for the chew function and is good suplimental nutrition.

Mine have always done really well on this.

I would also trim the hair around the matted area so there is not as much to become stuck to.

I hope this helps.

3. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Yes it does. Thank you. I got this bun as a sort of rescue,wasn;t really prepared for a rabbit, and hurried on line to read up on what to feed them, bought a magazine at TSC, etc. and everything I read kept talking about so many dark leafy greens a day, and other veggies and fruits and all that you cat give your gun as treats. And they all stressed leafy greens as part of a daily diet. Then I went searching for a bun friend for her and the rabbitry just feeds Purina show chow and hay. I guess Miss Bun is going to have to be slowly weaned off the kale and carrots. Thank you again for the advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by