dirty egg question

Bulldog6

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 16, 2012
So the eggs are starting to become fairly plentiful but the dirt is abundant. I keep lots of pine shavings in the floor of the coop and in the nesting boxes. The eggs do have some poop on them not a lot but some, but some of them look like they are taking a mud bath.

I know it goes both ways on weather to wash eggs or not but if the dirt and poop wont rub off should I wash them in the warm water then into the fridge or would a green scrub pad be better? Thanks

So the eggs are starting to become fairly plentiful but the dirt is abundant. I keep lots of pine shavings in the floor of the coop and in the nesting boxes. The eggs do have some poop on them not a lot but some, but some of them look like they are taking a mud bath.

I know it goes both ways on weather to wash eggs or not but if the dirt and poop wont rub off should I wash them in the warm water then into the fridge or would a green scrub pad be better? Thanks
If they are really messy, I wash them and use them soon or cook those and let the girls have them.
I have an egg brush with stiff bristles and brush the ones that have small dry spots. Some people use a piece of fine sandpaper?

Some of my eggs get poopy cause the way my coop is laid out, they walk thru it and it goes in box with the chickens. Keeping the floor in front of the boxes really cuts down on it and cleaning boxes regularly does as well. Wish I had room to add a foot cleaner in front of the nests…something like the lots a poop boards.

I have also heard that if eggs are coming out with poo then the hen may have worms. It probably wouldn't hurt to deworm the flock if you haven't done it in a while.

no I have never dewormed them. I just got them in April so I didn't know if it was due to them being new layers or what. I will look into that

from what I read I assume that using the DE (Diatomaceous Earth) will be fine to deworm them?

Not so much. It may prevent some of the breeding but for the most part DE works best when dry. DE is no more than fossilized algae, microscopic little rocks with odd shapes and jagged edges that break down the waxy coating of the exoskeletons, causing bugs to dehydrate. I use DE as a dietary supplement because it keeps flies and other creepy crawlies from breeding in the poo. If you used this sight's search, you can find plenty of threads discussing the best deworming treatments. I don't know the drug names offhand but I know Tractor Supply has it.

no I have never dewormed them. I just got them in April so I didn't know if it was due to them being new layers or what. I will look into that
Unless you know they have worms, I would not worm them. I think most poo on eggs comes off their feet. But I did have one real fluff butt who had poo stuck on her feathers - and she did not have worms. Her eggs got a small amt of poop on them, but even with her nasty butt the eggs didn't need washing. The intestine dumps in the same outlet where eggs come down, but the intestine "hole" closes up during egg laying, so they cannot poop at the same time they lay an egg.

If you suspect they have worms, then that's another issue.

Another thought, make sure those not laying aren't playing, sleeping in your nests, now they could poop like they do everywhere.

hello flock family!!! so i have to batches of ladies the older ones are 1.5 years old and the young ones are about 6 months old. we live in georgia and its hot right know. there days that the eggs come very dirty and once in a while one eggs seems to be coated in a very thin layer of blood maybe it looks like a tint i do wash the eggs with warm to cool water and use a sponge why are they so dirty with poop and why that layer, please help! ihave construction sand in the coop that is well ventilated through the roof and bottom walls that are just cover with fencing wire and open to air. the nesting boxes have and artificial turf that i wash and air/sun dry:/

Back
Top Bottom