1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dirty feathers on head

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ashawgo, Nov 27, 2013.

1. ashawgo

ashawgo New Egg

Apr 16, 2013
    I live in KC and it has been getting in the teens at night, so I have been putting petroleum jelly on their combs and waddles. This has made their feathers on their head get really gross and dirty and they have started to mat together. Should I be worried about this or is it just apart of putting the petroleum jelly on their combs at night...

Thanks for your help!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm sure it is from the PJ.
    I'm just across the state and I know you are about 5 degrees colder on average but I've never used it.
    I am thinking about trying it on a control group of Mediterranean roosters to see if it really has an impact.
    I've never had frostbite on hens regardless how big their combs were. The biggest consideration is humidity in the coop at sub-zero temps. I attribute my success to big ventilation and keeping the coop dry.

3. ashawgo

ashawgo New Egg

Apr 16, 2013
    Thank you ChickenCanoe - So you dont think I need to put the petroleum jelly on their combs and waddles? I think our coop is pretty well ventilated. This is my first time raising chickens... So I just have been researching how to keep them warm in the winter. They havent seemed to mind the cold at all yet, I replace their water twice a day so it doesnt freeze... I read that you should put petroleum jelly on their combs, but if you dont think I need to - then it saves time for me every evening! :)

Thank you for your help! If you have any other suggestions, send them my way! We pretty much have the same weather as St. Louis! :)

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by