1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dirty little ducky...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hillbillygreen, Mar 23, 2013.

1. hillbillygreen

hillbillygreen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2008
    Central Illinois
    We just got 7 chicks from the farm store with one duckling (specifically for my husband who LOVES them) We've never raised them before and I've noticed this ornery little guy likes to pick up shavings from his bedding and dunk them in their water, sometimes into the food and sometimes drags some food back to the water. I'd do more cleaning, but he seems to be more vigilant about this job when it's fresh!! I can see why my husband loves him... birds of a feather, LOL.

Is this normal behavior, should I be giving him a bath toy? (we were just joking about making HIM my husband's bath toy!) Oh, the irony...

2. DenverDucky

DenverDucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Colorado
    Hah I just had a flash-back from when I first became a Mom and decided I would try taking a bath with my baby. It was amazing at first but I learned how quickly it can all turn! So glad you were joking about being bath toy, because I know my duck loves to poop in her bath! Ew -gag- You would be having one freaked out husband real quick hah!

1 person likes this.
  3. Amarisus

Amarisus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    I know that's what my adult ducks like to do, so yeah I think it's normal lol They mess up their water so fast [​IMG] When people said ducks are messy I had no idea until I had some of my own lol but they are fun and great layers.

4. hillbillygreen

hillbillygreen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2008
    Central Illinois
    Thanks! Good to know... I need to do more reading! Hope we have a female :)

5. carcar80

carcar80 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2013
    GA, US
    Duck babies are MESSY!! I will never forget, after raising my little ones last year, I declared that they are THE messiest babies, ever. :[​IMG]

However, their sweet personalities and general adorable-ness saves them.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by