Dirty stay outs!

Sllovenberg

Chirping
Jun 22, 2020
Rockaway, New Jersey
I have 7 Hens and a (Nasty) Roo. 3 hens and the Roo are 10 months and the other 4 are 6 months old. Lately I have one Hen (a RIR) who is staying out in the run on a high roost at night. So when we go out to close them up for the night we take her off the Roost and put her inside. It doesnt happen every night just occasionally. The last 2 nights all 4 of the 6 month olds are out in the run on the roost and not in the coop with the other 4. I live in NJ and it has been getting down in the teens at night. I looked for Mites but found nothing. Tonight we left them out in the run on the roost. As you can see in the pics they are safe at night in the run, as it has a concrete floor and it is fully enclosed, but holy cow its cold out there. Should I be concerned,? Should I put them in the coop again every night or should I just leave them out if they want to be out? I do the DLM in the coop and in the run, I also use DE as well. Any advise is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 61662999362__6567F534-BEB7-4281-ADA3-1B5E1F4D779E.JPG
    61662999362__6567F534-BEB7-4281-ADA3-1B5E1F4D779E.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • EBdXT+xjSFq20vn2K%Ykhw.jpg
    EBdXT+xjSFq20vn2K%Ykhw.jpg
    968.7 KB · Views: 11
Beautiful coop! Is the roost in the run taller than the one in the coop?
And is it possible to move the roost in the run away?

Id raise your roost inside the coop, they like to be as high up as possible.
Maybe put two high roosts just in case some aren't being nice.:)

Wow didn't think 8 inches would make that much of a difference. I will take the high Roost in the Run down as they have others in the run. And let you know. Thank for the advise

It may be that the 10 mo olds are bullying the 6 mo olds off the coop roosts. Observation at evening roost time may give that answer.
Removing the outside roosts for a few days may stop the habit. Frost bite when temps are in the teens is possible. Not good
.good luck!
Cute coop!

Thanks for that advise, you might be right. Any suggestions on what to do if they are being bullied?
?

Remove the bully for a few days then try putting him back with the rest. He may get knocked to the bottom of the pecking order. Check the birds at night when they're in their coop. Some mites only come out at night to feed on the birds. I use a headlamp so I have both of my hands free to inspect the birds good. Some people swear by DE but I never had any luck with it. Poultry dust with permethrin is much better and no egg withdrawal period either. Good luck...

Attachments

• GordonPoultryDust.jpg
    GordonPoultryDust.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 2
  • permethrinDust.jpg
    permethrinDust.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1
  • PermethrinSpraya.jpg
    PermethrinSpraya.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 1
  • PermethrinSprayB.jpg
    PermethrinSprayB.jpg