Disabled and wanting to Raise Chicken's again.

Leasmom1013

Songster
May 6, 2020
When I was younger, I was able to do more physically. And I had quite a few chickens back then. I'm 45 years old but I walk with a cane because I have no cartilage in between my knees. Normally I get shots in my knees but they get a little better during the warmer months, plus Covid. I'm not going to the hospital right now. I have a one year old granddaughter who I watch and a granddog that lives with me. So, I have to get up and be mobile which is actually a good thing. Sitting still would not be good for the arthritis that I have. I just started a garden so I'm now checking on that. I want at least four hens for food security. I am wondering if anyone else is raising chickens who are disabled as well?

There are a few on here that have even greater mobility issues.
Your greatest challenge will be building a coop that works with your limitations. Plan for the future as well. An elevated coop will make caring for them easier. Automatic waterers would be a godsend. A removable floor ( think bird cage metal pan) that slides out and all the poop and bedding falls to the ground would help. Just rake it up and toss in the wheelbarrow. Make gates large enough to get through with a walker. Take your time so caring for them is fun and not a chore.
I feel your knee pain. I keep asking Santa for 2 for Christmas but I must be on the naughty list.

There are a few on here that have even greater mobility issues.
Your greatest challenge will be building a coop that works with your limitations. Plan for the future as well. An elevated coop will make caring for them easier. Automatic waterers would be a godsend. A removable floor ( think bird cage metal pan) that slides out and all the poop and bedding falls to the ground would help. Just rake it up and toss in the wheelbarrow. Make gates large enough to get through with a walker. Take your time so caring for them is fun and not a chore.
Great advice! My mom is also in the same situation (minus caring for a toddler), and she loves my chickens. This advice will help her feel more at ease with having her own flock. She is also lucky to have terrific neighbors who would be able to help her carry, catch, clean, whatever she needs. Thanks for posting this!

Back
Top Bottom