Disabled Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by luckyduck216, May 29, 2010.

1. luckyduck216

luckyduck216 Hatching

May 29, 2010
    Hello,
    I just joined this board to find out more on my little disabled duck.

My husband bought 4 Pekin Ducks at the local store. After bringing them home and I started carring for them,I noticed ones legs starting to bow inward. I took the duck t o a bird vet and they said the deformity was from a calcium/magnesium deficincy. They gave me antibiotics hoping they could stop the legs from deforming,he actually walks on his hocks and his feet are up by his sides.. I asked them to put the duck asleep but they refused. Then they said they may be able to do surgery to twist the legs back in place but when i went back to the vet they said it was a permanent condition. So again I asked to have the duck put asleep, they refused.

At what point do they figure the duck is suffering? She walks on her hocks, they also get sores on them sometimes and I have to wrap them in band aids with neosporin and that usually heals them for a few days. I have stall mats in their duck house and I put her in the water a few times during the day for a few minutes. The duck seems fine but uncomfortable just on the days she gets the sores from walking around.

What would you do? Or have you ever had this happen and have a duck with twisted legs walking on it/s hocks? I feel bad for the duck but she eats, drinks and stays with the other 3. But the sores are the worse and we always have to wrap them for her overnite and i take of the bandages in the morning.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Songster

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Honestly, I would keep her hocks wrapped and let her be. I have had tons of diabled animals, its kind of what we take in here. I have a duck who's had a stroke, a blind rooster, a chicken who was hit by a car that I picked up off the road. We had to cast the leg, and it did not heal straight. Over time though, she has gotten her leg much stronger, and now she is totally one of the crow with the other chickens. She doesn't walk right, but she doesn't seem to notice. As long as the duckling doesn't appear to be in terrible pain, just keep a bandage around her and make sure she doesn't get an infection.

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I currently care found a house bound disable duck. She is an Indian Runner who hatched with a slipped tendon. She has always been small- and not in the best health -So she lives in my bedroom in a human babies portable cot. She cannot walk at all- but hops around on her one good leg. I keep her bed covered with soft blankets and towels so she is not hitting any hard surfaces - but she still gets bald patches and bleeds from her feet and legs occasionally if she gets the skin rubbed too much. She would not survive if she was left outside with the other ducks.

I am surprised a vet would prescribe antibiotis for a deficiency - sems more reasonable to me that a suppliment for the vitamins or minerals would have been more appropriate. Also It should be your decision as the owner of the duck- as to what is best for the duckling. If you want it put to sleep humanely- it may be saving the duck a life of pain - Find a different vet if it comes to the point that it really does need to be done for the best interests of the duck.

4. luckyduck216

luckyduck216 Hatching

May 29, 2010
    What would you wrap them in? I need something waterproof! She is outside with the other three. A bit off balance but still looks good.
    The vet gave the antibiotics for the sores on her hocks and was wondering if something else was going on too. But I will try wrapping her hocks and get some waterproof tape with some gauze and neosporin until the sores are gone.Then just keep them wrapped to keep her comfortable. Have a few chickens too that are like my kids! My husband bought the birds and now I can't even eat chicken! Never ate duck but can't believe how these birds can grow on you! Thanks for the advice!

5. kitkatbahr

kitkatbahr Songster

Apr 25, 2009
    Merritt Island, FL
    Aww, poor thing. Maybe it's a niacin deficiency. What is she eating? How old is she?

You can supplement with niacin capsules (break open and sprinkle some in the water dish) or brewers yeast from the grocery or health food store. Other people are much more experienced than me, so hopefully someone will come along to tell you more about the niacin deficiency. You can also do some searches while you wait for others to come on. There is a search feature in the blue bar at the top of the age next to rules and my page.

Good luck with her. I hope she improves.

Kathy

6. Kim65

Kim65 Songster

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    Maybe paint her legs with that "new skin" stuff they sell in drug stores. It is both an antibiotic and a waterproof sealant.

You'd have to reapply it everyday, probably.

The reason I'm thinking of this is eventually she'll develop a callous on her legs and these will be tough enough to prevent sores and bleeding perhaps? And the "new skin" will just seal off the infection, but expose the skin enough it toughens up.

Weird a vet wouldn't put an animal down for you if you asked [​IMG] .

Another idea for wrapping, if you prefer that, is stuff called "vet wrap". It is stretchy and clings to itself. You just wrap it around the leg like tape and snip it off like tape. It is slightly sticky to itself and should hold, and last for a few days. I've seen it in drug stores too in the medical tape section.

7. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Songster

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I'm not too sure about the new skin idea. I've heard it burns really bad on people, and I wouldn't want to take the chance of the duck ingesting it and getting poisioned. Vet wrap is a good idea though. You can also buy it at Rural King. I found a chicken on my way to town that had been hit by a car, and I picked some up to bandage her skinned up foot and to suppot the soft cast we put on her. I found it over in the horse department, near all of the worming medicines and antibiotic cream for large farm animals. Comes in a bunch of different colors, and it only cost me 1.99 for the roll. If you go to a drug store, make sure you get the kind that is self adhesive, because some is just gauze wrap.

I would also like to say that I am glad you are giving her a chance. They are so grateful for you helping them out, and will return the love you put into them. They will also eventually learn to adapt, and you'll be glad you gave them a chance. Just make sure she eats and drinks okay, and is not getting picked on by any of the other animals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by