disappearing egg...

heidiinak

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 21, 2011
I have a hen that has gone extremely broody so I got a few green colored eggs (so I know which eggs to leave under her since all my girls lay brown eggs) from a friend and stuck them under her 4 days ago. She has been happily sitting on them and only leaves to eat and drink and them right back she goes. Yesterday when I went to check on her I noticed that one egg is gone. The only evidence left that it ever existed was some yellow yolk stuff on the other eggs. My guess is that she or one of my other hens ate, but my question is why??
hu.gif

well it depends maybe she wasnt getting any grit,which caused her to eat it or they just have a habit for eating eggs make sure no other hens can get in to her and see wat happens hope this helps

I had a setting welsummer eat one of the remaining eggs in her nest after she hatched out two chicks. It was clear that it was not fertile. She ate it just before her chicks decided it was time to bail out of the nest. Mom followed. I took the abandoned eggs and put them in a bator. I figured the outside hatch date was June 5th and two of the eggs pipped that day (yesterday)....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom