Disappearing Eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JPinAZ3, Feb 25, 2008.

1. JPinAZ3

JPinAZ3 New Egg

Feb 25, 2008
    I have 5 great birds that I let range freely, all about 8 months old, and 1 of them is an Aericana who lays green eggs. She was one of the first to lay and one of my most productive. About a week ago, I noticed that she wasn't layng. Finally, I figured out she just wasn't laying in the coop anymore! I found 3 green eggs under a shed. I have since blocked off that shed, but still no green eggs in the coop. How do I convince her to start laying in the coop again with all the other girls?

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    i hear golfballs work. Just stick a few in the nesting boxes

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2008
  3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

You might have to lock them up for a few days. Do they have a fenced in run? Maybe dont let them out untill noonish, after they lay. She will get the idea again.

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*Wonder why she suddenly changed behaviors-- Competition for 'her' box? Is she getting picked on? Is she broody, and hiding so her eggs stay with her? Seems like somethings up with her that you need to look into, ya know? Get any newcomers lately?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  5. JPinAZ3

JPinAZ3 New Egg

Feb 25, 2008
    No newcomers, same old 5. And the other girls lay in the box just fine. (Well 3 of the 4 - 1 of the reds has never laid) I have 3 boxes in the hen hilton I built for them which would seem like more than enough for the 5 of them. Sigh. I do not have a fenced in area for them and the coup seems so small to keep them in all day but that might be what I have to do! Thanks for the help!

6. treeclimber233

treeclimber233 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    My guess would be she wants to set and is hiding her eggs. Just because you blocked off the first nest wont make her lay in the hen house. She just found another nesting area. I agree with penning her up until later in the day (hopefully until after she lays her egg)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by