Disappointed in eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sjisty, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I recently won an auction and received 17 bantam cochin eggs. They were placed in the incubator 7 days ago. I just did my first candling, and out of the 17, only 3 are developing! Is it too cold for shipping right now? Any suggestions? I have hatched many eggs over the last couple of years in this same incubator without problems.

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Could be the weather, but I have had entire shipments of eggs that I have received, with boxes all intact, and none of them hatched. Shipping really takes it's toll on the eggs, unfortunately. On the other hand, I have shipped eggs in the bator right now with 100% development...you just never know with shipping... [​IMG]

3. Sjisty

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    It's just so disheartening. I paid $50 for these eggs, so that makes these three pretty expensive! I just hope they make it to hatch.

4. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    I can relate!! Last summer, I received 48 Salmon Favarolle eggs in the mail..only 1 hatched..it was certainly disappointing...it was a hen and she is certainly special!!..btw..it was NOT the breeders fault..it was mine..story for another day!!

5. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Awwww, that stinks when it happens! I had a dozen shipped Silkie eggs and only 1 chick! I had 4 hatch, but the other 3 were deformed. While not developing at all could be a shipping problem, I've been told deformities are often a breeder issue.

Being that 45 aren't developing, I would let the breeder know. They may offer to send more. Or maybe the roo is just taking a winter break and in that case the breeder needs to know to check fertility.

6. Painted Spirit

Painted Spirit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    Quote:Did none of these hatch or did they not develop? I tend to think it may be more of a fertility issue....

7. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    It is a risk you taking buying eggs and having them sent through the mail. There is no way that you can know if it was the fertility or the shipping that caused them not to develop.

8. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    I wouldn't throw them out just yet. I would wait and candle again on day 14 to see if there are any changes before discarding them.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

As has been said it is the chance you take with shipped eggs unfortunately. That is one of the reasons that I pretty much continually have my bators going when I'm shipping eggs. I can keep tabs on the fertility of my eggs so I know whether it's my eggs or the shipping that caused a poor hatch.

10. Sjisty

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I'm getting some more!! The seller offered to send me more for free, but I am going to help with shipping. I wasn't blaming her for the poor development, I just figured it was the extreme cold weather we have been having all over the country! She's the best!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by