Disaster, broody off, eggs cold and wet

sharonp53

Songster
8 Years
May 23, 2013
Peacock Creek, NSW. 2469
How this happened is a long and messy story, but I ended up having to move my broody into a cage all set up as a nice secure home. She sat happily for almost a week and then, although covered with a heavy tarpulin, we got an unseasonal rain storm. We checked on her and all was well. Dry and cosy inside. Whether we failed to secure the tarp properly I don't know, but this morning she was off the eggs, had obviously moved some, eaten others, which presumably broke while she was moving them, and the remainder were in her original nest cold and wet.

I feel like a complete idiot. I failed to plan for the unexpected and let my girl down. I removed all the eggs, brought them in and dried them and have put them between two warm hot water bottles to warm a little while we sort things out.

We can move her into the garage and put the eggs back under her, but would they still be viable? I tried candling them but the eggs are dense and dark and I can't see through them.

But I am really worried that now she has discovered she can eat eggs that we have a worse problem. When I found her she was pecking at another egg.

Any suggestions please? Other than that I am not a fit chicken keeper :(

Thank you. I am devastated. I have just candled them and found four total duds, broke them open and most never developed, but one looked like it may have started and died soon after. But the good news is that four look good and one maybe.

I think I am going to relocate Mumma and try the good eggs under her and see how we go. I am keeping her in the garage as I can check on her every few hours there without disturbing her too much.

Fingers crossed. :/

Back
Top Bottom